Office: 1722 HW (Hunter West Building, S.W. corner of Lexington Ave. & 68th St.)
Email: rkarapin (at) panix (dot) com
Areas of specialization:
- Environmental policy and politics
- U.S. politics
- Comparative politics
- German politics
- West European politics
- Social and political movements
- POLSC 110: American Government: A Historical Introduction
- POLSC 228: Protest Movements in American Politics
- POLSC 261: Globalization and Opposition Movements
- POLSC 254: Government and Politics in Western Europe
- POLSC 322: Social and Economic Policies in Western Europe and the United States
Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1993
B.A. and M.A., Pennsylvania State University, 1983
- If you cannot obtain any of these articles, please email me at rkarapin (at) panix (dot) com and I will send you a copy.
- "Climate Policy Outcomes in Germany: Environmental Performance and Environmental Damage in Eleven Policy Areas," German Politics and Society 30 (Autumn 2012), pp. 1-34
- "Explaining Success and Failure in Climate Policies: Developing Theory through German Case Studies," Comparative Politics 45 (October 2012), pp. 46-68.
- "Wind-Power Development in Germany and the U.S.: Structural Factors, Multiple-Stream Convergence, and Turning Points," in Andreas Duit, ed., State and Environment: The Comparative Study of Environmental Governance. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, forthcoming in 2014.
- "Opportunity/Threat Spirals in Social Movements: The U.S. Women's Suffrage and German Anti-Immigration Movements," Mobilization: An International Journal 16 (Spring 2011), pp. 65-80.
- Protest Politics in Germany: Movements on the Left and Right Since the 1960s. University Park, Pa.: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2007. Paperback edition, 2009. Winner of the 2008 Charles Tilly Award for Best Book Published in Collective Behavior and Social Movements, sponsored by the American Sociological Association. On Google Books. At publisher's website.
- "Protest and Reform in Asylum Policy: Citizen Initiatives Versus Asylum Seekers in German Municipalities, 1989-1994, " German Politics and Society 21 (Summer 2003), pp. 1-45.
- "Anti-Minority Riots in Unified Germany: Cultural Conflicts and Mischanneled Political Participation," Comparative Politics 34 (January 2002), pp. 147-67.
- "Far-Right Parties and the Construction of Immigration Issues in Germany," in Martin Schain, Aristide Zolberg, and Patrick Hossay, eds., Shadows Over Europe: The Development and Impact of the Extreme Right in Western Europe. New York: Palgrave, 2002, pp. 187-219.
- "Un Phenomene Complexe," Problemes Politiques et Sociaux 849 (22 December 2000), pp. 37-42.
- "Major Anti-Minority Riots and National Legislative Campaigns against Immigrants in Britain and Germany," in Ruud Koopmans and Paul Statham, eds., Challenging Immigration and Ethnic Relations Politics: European Perspectives. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000, pp. 312-47.
- "The Politics of Immigration Control in Britain and Germany: Subnational Politicians and Social Movements, "Comparative Politics 31 (July 1999), pp. 423-44.
- "Explaining Far-Right Electoral Successes in Germany: The Politicization of Immigration-Related Issues," German Politics and Society 16 (Fall 1998), pp. 24-61.
- "Radical-Right and Neo-Fascist Political Parties in Western Europe," Comparative Politics 30 (January 1998), pp. 213-34.