Office: 1718A HW
Ph.D. Columbia University, 2006
M.Phil Columbia University, 2003
M.A. Columbia University, 2001
B.A. University of Michigan, 1999
Areas of Specialization:
War Duration and Causes of War
Terrorism and Counterterrorism
POLSC 274: American Foreign Policy
POLSC 283: Terrorism
POLSC 382: Causes of War
POLSC 384: Comparative Foreign Policy
POLSC 493: Conducting and Presenting Political Science Research
PSC 76000: Basic Concepts and Theories of International Relations
- Savic, Ivan and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2017. Uncertainty, Threat, and International Security: Implications for Southeast Asia. (London: Routledge).
- Joining the Fray: Military Intervention in Civil Wars. 2012. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War. 2009. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- "Joining By Number: Military Intervention in Civil Wars," Forthcoming. Civil Wars.
- Lee, Michael and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2017. "Going Beyond the Existing Consensus: The Use of Games in International Relations Education," PS: Political Science & Politics 50(2).
- "Uncertainty and War Duration," 2016. International Studies Review 18(2): 244-267.
- "When and How Many: The Effects of Third Party Joining on Casualties and Duration in Interstate Wars," 2012. Journal of Peace Research 49(2): 321-334.
- Savic, Ivan, and Zachary C. Shirkey. 2009. “Trust in the Balance: The Role of Commitment Problems in Shaping External Balancing Behavior,” Journal of Theoretical Politics 21(4): 483-507.
- "No: International organizations are limited in their ability to combat terrorism", 2013. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 2nd Ed., Stuart Gottlieb ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press: 279-291.
- “No: The UN is limited in its ability to play a role,” 2009. In Debating Terrorism and Counterterrorism, 1st Ed., Stuart Gottlieb, ed. Washington, DC: CQ Press: 275–287.
Reviews and Online Publications:
- Review of "Confounding Powers: Anarchy and International Society from the Assassins to Al Qaeda. By William J. Brenner (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016). 2017. Journal of Interdisciplinary History 47(3): 399-400.
- Review of "Alexander Lanoszka and Michael A. Hunzeker 'Rage of Honor: Entente Indignation and the Lost Chance for Peace in the First World War.' Security Studies 24:4 (October-December 2015). 2016. H-Diplo/ISSF Article Review 60.
- "Commitment Problems as a Cause of War Severity", 2014. International Studies Review 16(1): 136-38.
- “Review of "Dan Reiter’s How Wars End,” 2012. H-Diplo/ISSF Roundtable Reviews 3(19): 15–19.
- Shirkey, Zachary C., and Alex Weisiger, 2007. “An Annotated Bibliography for the Correlates of War Interstate Wars."
Some of the above works are available in the open access CUNY Academic Works repository.
- Unexpected Events in Interstate Wars Data Set:
COW Interstate Wars Data Set
Citation: Shirkey, Zachary C. 2009. Is This a Private Fight or Can Anybody Join? The Spread of Interstate War (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate).
- Unexpected Events in Civil Wars Data Sets:
COW Civil Wars Data Set
PRIO Civil Wars Data Set
Citation: Shirkey, Zachary C. 2015. "Joining by Number: Military Intervention in Civil Wars" Working Paper. Hunter College, CUNY.