Pre-Health File Application
What is the Pre-Health File Application?
If you are planning to apply to a health professions program we will keep a file of your course evaluations, recommendations, pre-health packet, resume, and transcripts in the Pre-Health Professions Office. The information in your file is confidential and accessible only to the Pre-Health Committee and Pre-Health Professions Office staff.
Why do I need a Pre-Health file?
When it is time to apply to health professions schools, we guide students through the application process. This includes providing qualified students with a Committee Letter, which is a very detailed and combined reference letter that incorporates letters of recommendation and evaluations.
Starting the file allows you to start collecting letters of recommendation and evaluations as soon as possible; when you apply you won't have to spend time trying to locate previous professors because you will have requested them when you took the course or worked with the individual. We keep the file for 3 years after you graduate.
Students interested in Physical Therapy or Physician Assistant Programs, DO NOT need to open a file. We only advise these students on a very limited basis, and they do not need a Pre-Health File.
How do I open a Pre-Health file?
In order to open a Pre-Health file you must first attend an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop before registering with the Pre-Health Office. There you will receive a contract that must be signed. If you meet the requirements you will be accepted into the program, and your Pre-Health file will be created for you.
What are the requirements?
- You must attend an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. (Check our calendar to find out dates, location etc.)
- Hunter Students are required to have completed 12 science credits and have at least a 3.3 GPA in those science courses. (If you are a transfer student and have completed 12 or more science credits, you must complete 9 credits of biology, chemistry, or physics at Hunter College. If you have completed less than 12 credits, you must complet 12 science credits at Hunter College).
- You must have at least a 3.3 science and cumulative GPA.
- Must agree to meet with a Pre-Health Advisor at least once per year
- You must attend at least three (3) Pre-Health Advising events per semester OR six (6) events within the academic year (September-May).
- You must join the Pre-Health listserv.
BEFORE YOU APPLY: You must first obtain your Pre-Health ID number. This number is emailed to you after you attend the "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. YOU CANNOT COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE PRE-HEALTH ID NUMBER.
If you have already attended an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop, have your Pre-Health ID number, and meet all the requirements, please click here to register and start your file
How do I find out what is currently in my file?
To find out which evaluations and recommendations are currently in your pre-health file please fill out the File Check Request form.