Current High School Students and Parents
Prospective Undergraduate Students and Parents
If you are a current high school student or parent of a student interested in coming to Hunter College, please visit the website for the Hunter College Admissions Office to find out more about becoming a Hunter student.
There is no Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Major at Hunter College and the Pre-Health Advising Office does not take part in the Hunter College admissions procedures for undergraduates. We cannot provide information about general admissions to Hunter College.
Once you are admitted to Hunter College e-mail us or make an appointment for advising to find out more about how the Pre-Health Advising Office can help you on your path to becoming a doctor, dentist, veterinarian, podiatrist or optometrist. This can be done during your first semester, but does not need to be done before the semester begins.
During your first semester at Hunter College you can register with the Pre-Health Advising Office and you should join the Pre-Health listserv to receive any relevant information that we send out. There is no special application for undergraduate students at Hunter College who are interested in following a pre-medical curriculum.
Requirements To Be Accepted Into The Pre-Health Program:
- You must attend an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. (Check our calendar to find out dates, location etc.)
- Hunter Students are required to have completed 12 science credits and have at least a 3.3 GPA in those science courses. (If you are a transfer student and have completed 12 or more science credits, you must complete 9 credits of biology, chemistry, or physics at Hunter College. If you have completed less than 12 credits, you must complete 12 science credits at Hunter College).
You must also attend the following required Pre-Health Portfolio development workshops:
* Resume Writing and Networking 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Professionalism 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Stress and Time management for Pre-Health Students
* Clinical Volunteering 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Community Service Volunteering for Pre-Health Students
* How to Pursue Research Opportunities for Pre-Health StudentsPlease note that the Pre-Health Portfolio development workshops are required for all potential Pre-Health students as of Fall 2015.
- You must have at least a 3.3 science and cumulative GPA.
- Must agree to meet with a Pre-Health Advisor at least once per year
- You must attend at least three (3) Pre-Health Advising events per semester OR six (6) events per academic year (September-May).
- You must join the Pre-Health listserv.
BEFORE YOU APPLY: You must first obtain your Pre-Health ID number. This number is emailed to you after you attend the "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. YOU CANNOT COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE PRE-HEALTH ID NUMBER.
Information about the Pre-medical curriculum at Hunter can be found here on our website.
Thank you for interest in the Hunter College Pre-Health Advising Office! Please review the information on our website to find out more about the requirements for pursuing medicine as a career.
Note: Students interested in Hunter’s nursing, public health, nutrition, or medical laboratory science programs can find the information they need online at the School of Health Professions website and the Hunter Bellevue School of Nursing website. We do not advise these students in the Pre-Health Advising Office.