Applying To Pre-Health
If you already have a Pre-Health file, but you do not request recommendation letters and/or evaluations for at least an academic year, your file will become inactive and you will have to reapply to the program to make your file active again. To avoid your Pre-Health file becoming inactive, make sure you submit recommendation letters and/or evaluations every semester.
Hunter alumni Pre-Health files will be kept active up to 3 years after graduation. We encourage alumni to update or add letters of recommendation to keep their Pre-Health files active after graduation.
EFFECTIVE AS OF FALL 2015
You must have a Pre-Health file for at least 1 year before you can apply for a committee letter.
How do I apply to the Pre-Health Program?
- You must first attend an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. (Check our calendar to for dates, times and location)
- Attend the following required Pre-Health Portfolio development workshops:
- Resume Writing and Networking 101 for Pre-Health Students
- Professionalism 101 for Pre-Health Students·
- Stress and Time management for Pre-Health Students
- Clinical Volunteering 101 for Pre-Health Students
- Community Service Volunteering for Pre-Health Students
- How to Pursue Research Opportunities for Pre-Health Students
- Hunter Students are required to have completed 12 science credits. (If you are a transfer student and have completed 12 or more science credits, you must complete 9 credits of biology, chemistry, or physics at Hunter College. If you have completed less than 12 credits, you must complete 12 science credits at Hunter College).
- You must have at least a 3.3 science and cumulative GPA.
- Review and sign the Pre-Health contract.
- Complete and submit the Pre-Health program application.
- You must join the Pre-Health listserv.
- You must agree to meet with a Pre-Health Advisor at least once per year
- You must attend at least three (3) Pre-Health Advising events per semester OR six (6) events within the academic year (September-May).
1. Please note that if you RSVP for an event and do not attend, you will not receive credit for that event. Our office keeps and maintains an attendance record of each and every event. We know who attends and who does not attend each event.
2. ONLY RSVP if you are certain you will attend. If you are not be able to attend an event, Sign back into your account and decline the RSVP notification, so that other students can be accommodated in your place.
BEFORE YOU APPLY: You must first obtain your Pre-Health ID number. This number is emailed to you after you attend the "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. YOU CANNOT COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE PRE-HEALTH ID NUMBER.