Prospective and New Transfer Students
Students interested in transferring to Hunter College from another institution should contact the Hunter College Admissions Office.
There is no Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Major at Hunter College. The Pre-Health Advising Office assists students in deciding on the appropriate pre-requisite coursework required by health professional schools. This coursework must be completed in addition to the major and general education requirements necessary for graduation. There is no special application for undergraduate transfer students interested in completing the pre-medical requirements at Hunter College.
What are the requirements?
- You must attend an "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. (Check our calendar to find out dates, location etc.)
- Hunter Students are required to have completed 12 science credits and have at least a 3.3 GPA in those science courses. (If you are a transfer student and have completed 12 or more science credits, you must complete 9 credits of biology, chemistry, or physics at Hunter College. If you have completed less than 12 credits, you must complete 12 science credits at Hunter College).
You must also attend the following required Pre-Health Portfolio development workshops:
* Resume Writing and Networking 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Professionalism 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Stress and Time management for Pre-Health Students
* Clinical Volunteering 101 for Pre-Health Students
* Community Service Volunteering for Pre-Health Students
* How to Pursue Research Opportunities for Pre-Health Students
Please note that the Pre-Health Portfolio development workshops are required for all potential Pre-Health students as of Fall 2015.
- You must have at least a 3.3 science and cumulative GPA.
- Must agree to meet with a Pre-Health Advisor at least once per year
- You must attend at least three (3) Pre-Health Advising events per semester OR six (6) events within the academic year (September-May).
- You must join the Pre-Health listserv.
BEFORE YOU APPLY: You must first obtain your Pre-Health ID number. This number is emailed to you after you attend the "Everything You Need to Know about Being a Pre-Health Student" workshop. YOU CANNOT COMPLETE THE APPLICATION WITHOUT THE PRE-HEALTH ID NUMBER.
Information about the Pre-medical curriculum at Hunter can be found here on our website.
Note: Students interested in Hunter’s nursing, public health, nutrition, or medical laboratory science programs can find the information they need online at the School of Health Professions website and the Hunter Bellevue School of Nursing website. We do not advise these students in the Pre-Health Advising Office.
Once you are admitted to Hunter College e-mail us or make an appointment for advisement to find out more about how the Pre-Health Advising Office can help you on your path to becoming a doctor, dentist, veterinarian, podiatrist or optometrist. This can be done during your first semester, and does not need to be done prior to classes starting.
The Pre-Health Advising Office CANNOT evaluate transfer credits. For information about how your courses might transfer to Hunter College please visit the Course Equivalency Search Engine provided by the Admissions Office. If you cannot find information about your courses you will have to speak to someone in the Admissions Office and/or the appropriate academic department (i.e. evaluation of a Biology course should be done in the Biology department).
For students who are already at Hunter but would like to have additional courses evaluated please make sure to take a copy of your transcript and a course description (usually found in a course catalog or school website) to the appropriate department.
Biology Department - North Building 9th Floor
- the Biology Department has a Course Evaluation form that can be completed prior to going to the office. Click here to see the form.
Chemistry Department - North Building 13th floor
Physics Department - North Building 12th Floor
Math Department - East Building 9th Floor