Information for Prospective Post-Baccalaureate Students
The Fall 2017 supplemental application will open soon.
The supplemental application is for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program, which is submitted directly to the Pre-Health Office and can be accessed via the following link: Supplemental Application
- Applicants must prepare a personal statement in order to complete the Supplemental Application
- The Supplemental Application cannot be saved and restarted so it must be completed in one setting. It is suggested that you answer the questions first using a word processing program and then copy and paste your answers into the application when you have all of the information ready to submit.
- ONLY CANDIDATES WHOSE APPLICATIONS ARE COMPLETE BY THE February 1st DEADLINE WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION. This deadline pertains to the receipt of all transcripts and any other documents required for application to CUNY and Hunter College, as well as the Supplemental Application for the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program.
- Letters of recommendation are not required, but may be requested at the discretion of our Admissions Commitee on a case by case basis.
All letters must be signed and on letterhead and should be requested through the form that you can access through this link: Letter of Recommendation Request
Please Note The Following:
Additional Application Procedures
In addition to the Supplemental Application, which is linked and described above, there is also a separate CUNY Application required for admission to Hunter College. Both parts of the procedure MUST be completed by the February 1st deadline. This includes the receipt of all transcripts and other required documentation.
The general CUNY application for admission to Hunter College
- Please see the Hunter College Admissions website for more information regarding admission to Hunter College. Click here
- Follow all instructions as given for Undergraduate/Bachelors Degree Students, General Transfer Admission and then Second Degree Admission
- The specific code used in the CUNY system for admission to Hunter's Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program is 0339 - Health Careers Preparation.
- All transcripts are submitted through the CUNY Application Processing Center as part of the CUNY application for admission.
- High school transcripts are not required since all applicants must already hold a Bachelor's degree.
Applicants must have received an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA. An undergraduate degree must already be completed at the time of application. Applications for students with degrees in progress will not be accepted.
Applicants who already completed a Bachelors degree and are currently taking Post-Baccalaureate coursework at Hunter College as a Non-Degree or Undergraduate Second Degree candidate may be considered for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program if ALL of the following criteria are met:
- You have completed 12 or fewer credits in science (BIOL, CHEM or PHYS) courses at Hunter College since earning your Bachelor's degree. Please note that only credits earned within the past 5 years count toward this 12-credit total. These credits will also count toward the total number of credits required to earn the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate. Please note that as long as you have earned 12 or fewer credits at the time when you apply to the Post-Baccalaureate Program, you may continue to take classes at Hunter while you await the decision regarding your admission.
- Your GPA in post-baccalaureate science courses earned at Hunter College within the past 5 years is 3.5 or higher.
- You are enrolled at Hunter College as an Undergraduate Second Degree candidate with the appropriate major code (0339) selected for the Post-Baccalaureate Program in Health Careers Preparation. Please note that if you are already enrolled at Hunter as a Non-Degree student or a Second Degree candidate under a different major code, you will need to resubmit your CUNY application and select the appropriate major code (0339) at the time when you apply to the Post-Baccalaureate Program.
- You complete the Supplemental Application to the Post-Baccalaureate Program by the specified deadline.
Applicants to Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program fall into two categories:
- Preparatory: Students with less than 15 credits in science in preparation for entry to health professions schools. Students in the preparatory track must demonstrate commitment to a health professions career either through health care experience or volunteer work prior to applying to the program.
- Enrichment: Students with existing science backgrounds who are in need of further science preparation, improvement of science performance (due to low grades or credits more than 10 years old) before applying to health professions schools.
- Students are only admitted in the Fall semester. (No Spring Admissions)
- The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Careers Preparation is for students pursuing careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, osteopathy, veterinary medicine, and podiatry. The program is not for students interested in pharmacy, physician assistant studies, physical therapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy or nursing.
- Only students who have already received a Baccalaureate degree will be considered for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program at Hunter College. Students with undergraduate degrees still in progress are not eligible to apply.
- Please make special note of the program requirements listed on this page. Applicants who do not need to complete at least 38 credits in science courses at Hunter will not be admitted to the program.
- Complete a year of college level English. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter.
- Complete one year of Mathematics BEYOND Pre-Calculus. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter. There are two ways to fulfill this requirement at Hunter:
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and MTH 155 (Calculus II)
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and STAT 213 (STAT 113 does not fulfill this requirement)
- Complete 38 credits in science courses (Biology, Physics & Chemistry) at Hunter College (while enrolled in the Post-Bacc Certificate Program; credits taken while not enrolled in the program will not be added to the 38 requirement) within 36 months.
- Maintain a a cumulative Hunter Post-Baccalaureate GPA of 3.3 or higher with a minimum 3.3 GPA for every semester in the program and with no individual course grade below a B- .
- Provide 56 hours of service to the Hunter College Community during your time in the program.
- Qualify for and obtain a Committee Letter Please note that the minimum science GPA required to qualify for the Committee Letter is 3.3.