Information for Prospective Post-Baccalaureate Students
The Fall 2014 application cycle is now CLOSED.
The deadline for RECEIPT of all application materials was December 15, 2013.
ONLY CANDIDATES WHOSE APPLICATIONS WERE COMPLETE BY THE DECEMBER 15 DEADLINE WERE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION. This deadline pertains to the receipt of all transcripts and any other documents required for application to CUNY and Hunter College, as well as the supplemental application for the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program.
- Students are only admitted in the Fall semester. (No Spring Admissions)
- The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Health Careers Preparation is for students pursuing careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, osteopathy, veterinary medicine, and podiatry. The program is not for students interested in pharmacy, physician assistant studies, physical therapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy or nursing.
- Only students who have already received a Baccalaureate degree will be considered for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program at Hunter College. Students with undergraduate degrees still in progress are not eligible to apply.
- Please make special note of the program requirements listed on this page. Applicants who do not need to complete at least 38 credits in science courses at Hunter will not be admitted to the program.
Applicants to Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program fall into two categories:
(The Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program does not accept students in the Spring semester. Admissions is Fall semester only.)
- Preparatory: Students with less than 15 credits in science in preparation for entry to health professions schools. Students in the preparatory track must demonstrate commitment to a health professions career either through health care experience or volunteer work prior to applying to the program.
- Enrichment: Students with existing science backgrounds who are in need of further science preparation, improvement of science performance (due to low grades or credits more than 10 years old) before applying to health professions schools.
Duration of Program: Students can expect to complete their requirements in 2 to 3 years. Students will be advised by a Pre-Health Advisor on the best schedule to meet their individual needs.
Academic Requirements For Admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program: Applicants must have received an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall 3.0 GPA. An undergraduate degree must already be completed at the time of application. Applications for students with degrees in progress will not be accepted.
Applicants who already completed a Bachelors degree and are currently taking Post-Baccalaureate coursework at Hunter College as a Non-Degree or Undergraduate Second Degree candidate will only be considered for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program if ALL of the following criteria are met:
- You are enrolled at Hunter College as an Undergraduate Second Degree candidate with the appropriate major code (0339) selected for the Post-Baccalaureate Program. Please note that if you are already enrolled at Hunter as a Non-Degree student or as an Undergraduate Second Degree candidate under a different major code, it is possible to resubmit your CUNY application and select the appropriate major code (0339) at the time when you apply to the Post-Baccalaureate Program.
- You complete the Supplemental Application to the Post-Baccalaureate Program by the specified deadline.
- You have completed 9 or fewer credits in science (BIOL, CHEM or PHYS) courses at Hunter College since earning your Bachelor's degree. Please note that only credits earned within the past 5 years count toward this 9-credit total. These credits will also count toward the total number of credits required to earn the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate. Please note that as long as you have earned 9 or fewer credits at the time when you apply to the Post-Baccalaureate Program, you may continue to take classes at Hunter while you await the decision regarding your admission.
- Your GPA in post-baccalaureate science courses earned at Hunter College within the past 5 years (as mentioned in the previous item) is 3.5 or higher.
To complete the program and receive the certificate all Post-Baccalaureate Certificate students must:
- Complete a year of college level English. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter.
- Complete one year of Mathematics BEYOND Pre-Calculus. This requirement can be fulfilled by undergraduate transfer credit and/or by taking courses at Hunter. There are two ways to fulfill this requirement at Hunter:
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and MTH 155 (Calculus II)
- MTH 150 (Calculus) and STAT 213 (STAT 113 does not fulfill this requirement)
- Complete 38 credits in science courses (Biology, Physics & Chemistry) at Hunter College within 36 months.
- Maintain a a cumulative Hunter Post-Baccalaureate GPA of 3.3 or higher with a minimum 3.3 GPA for every semester in the program and with no individual course grade below a B- .
- Provide 56 hours of service to the Hunter College Community during your time in the program.
- Qualify for and obtain a Committee Letter (Physical Therapy students do not receive Committee Letters). Please note that the minimum science GPA required to qualify for the Committee Letter is 3.3.
Students who were admitted to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program prior to the Fall of 2010 MUST meet with a Pre-Health Advisor to evaluate their eligibility for the certificate.
There are two parts to the application procedure, described below. Both parts of the procedure MUST be completed by the December 15 deadline. This includes the receipt of all transcripts and other required documentation.
I. The general CUNY application for admission to Hunter College
- Please see the Hunter College Admissions website for more information regarding admission to Hunter College. http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/
- Follow all instructions as given for Second Degree Admission.
- The specific code used in the CUNY system for admission to Hunter's Post Baccalaureate Certificate Program is 0339 - Health Careers Preparation.
- All transcripts are submitted through the CUNY Application Processing Center as part of the CUNY application for admission.
- High school transcripts are not required since all applicants must already hold a Bachelor's degree.
II. The supplemental application for admission to the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program, which is submitted directly to the Pre-Health Office
- The Supplemental Application requires a personal statement
- The Supplemental Application cannot be saved and restarted so it must be completed in one setting. It is suggested that you answer the questions first using a word processing program and then copy and paste your answers into the application when you have all of the information ready to submit.
- The Supplemental Application can be accessed via the following link: Supplemental Application