Roosevelt House has been an integral part of Hunter's history since 1943. Located at 47-49 East 65th Street, it was Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt's New York City residence until 1941. Because of the house's proximity to Hunter, the Roosevelts became deeply involved in the College's life and eventually arranged for the house to be sold to a consortium organized on behalf of Hunter students.
A drive led by President Jennifer Raab raised more than $20 million in public and private funds to pay for renovations and furnishings that will give the house a new look, a new name - the Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute - and a new mission.
The Institute will honor the Roosevelts' legacy of advancing human rights and democratic institutions. Through its innovative public policy curriculum, it will provide students with a place to study and analyze critical public policy issues. It will serve as a place for faculty to research, teach and write about important issues. It also will serve as a preeminent meeting place in which academics, students, public officials, and concerned citizens can work together to solve the most pressing challenges of the day.
Roosevelt House collaborates on its high quality public programming with other distinguished public policy institutes, including the Aspen Institute and the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute in Hyde Park (FERI).
For more information, please visit the Roosevelt House website at RooseveltHouseInstitute.org.