Ph.D., Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Department of Psychology
Hunter College, Room 1314W
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065
Current Areas of Research
My research focuses on substance use and sexual health in sexual minority populations, with a particular emphasis on relationship factors associated with sexual health in gay and bisexual men. I am the clinical director of the Center for HIV/AIDS Educational Studies and training, and my research incorporates an emphasis on intervention development. I am currently the PI on a NIDA funded project which seeks to develop novel interventions to reduce substance use and enhance assertive communication skills within the context of couples HIV testing and counseling with gay and bisexual couples.My work has two primary foci:
- How relationship expectancies, beliefs and attitudes shape health related behavior among single gay and bisexual men
- How individual and dyadic factors interact to influence shape health related behavior among gay and bisexual men in main partner relationships with other men
- Starks, T.J., Millar, B. Eggleston, J.J. & Parsons, J.T. (in press). Syndemic factors associated with HIV risk for gay and bisexual men: Comparing latent class and latent factor modeling. AIDS and Behavior
- Grov, C. Starks, T.J., Wolff, M., Smith, M.D., Koken, J. & Parsons, J.T. (in press). Behavior patterns of clients with their most recent male escort: An application of latent class analysis. Archives of Sexual Behavior.
- Pantalone, D.W., Tomassilli, J.C., Starks, T.J., Golub, S.A. & Parsons, J.T. (in press). Unprotected anal intercourse with casual male partners in urban gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. American Journal of Public Health.
- Parsons, J.T. Starks, T.J., Millar, B.M., Boonrai, K. & Marcotte, D. (in press). Patterns of drug use among HIV positive adults over 50: Implications for treatment and medication adherence. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 139, 33-40.
- Gamarel, K.E., Starks, T.J., Dilworth, S.E., Neilands, T.B. & Johnson, M.O. (2014). Personal or relational? Examining sexual health in the context of serodiscordant same-sex couples. AIDS and Behavior, 18, 171-179.
- Grov, C, Starks, T.J., Rendina, H.J. & Parsons, J.T. (2014). Rules about casual sex partners, relationship satisfaction, and HIV risk in partnered gay and bisexual men. Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, 40(2), 105-122.
- Mustanski, B., Starks, T.J. & Newcomb, M.E. (2014). Methods for the design and analysis of relationship and partner effects on sexual health. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 21-33.
- Parsons, J.T. & Starks, T.J. (2014). Drug use and sexual arrangements among gay couples: Frequency, interdependence, and associations with sexual risk. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 89-98.
- Pachankis, J., Hatzenbueler, M. & Starks, T.J. (2014). The Influence of structural stigma and rejection sensitivity on young sexual minority men's daily substance use. Journal of Social Science and Medicine, 103, 67-75.
- Rendina, H. J., Breslow, A. S., Grov, C., Ventuneac, A., Starks, T. J., & Parsons, J. T. (2014). Interest in couples-based voluntary HIV counseling and testing (CVCT) in a national US sample of gay and bisexual men: The role of demographic and HIV risk factors. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 149-159.
- Starks, T.J., Gamarel, K.E. & Johnson, M.O. (2014). Relationship characteristics and HIV transmission risk in same-sex male couples in HIV serodiscordant relationships. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 139-147.
- Starks, T.J. & Parsons, J.T. (2014). Adult attachment among partnered gay men: Patterns and associations with sexual relationship quality. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 43, 107-117.
- Vial, A.C., Starks, T.J. & Parsons, J.T. (2014). Finding and recruiting the highest risk HIV-negative men who have sex with men. AIDS Education and Prevention, 26, 56-67.
- Starks, T.J., Grov, C., & Parsons, J.T. (2013). Sexual compulsivity and interpersonal functioning in gay relationships. Health Psychology, 32(10), 1047-1056.
- Starks, T.J., Payton, G., Golub, S.A., Weinberger, C. & Parsons, J.T. (2013). Contextualizing condom use: Intimacy interference, stigma, and unprotected sex. Journal of Health Psychology. 19(6) 711-720.
- Starks, T.J., Rendina, H.J., Breslow, A.S., Parsons, J.T. & Golub, S.A. (2013). The psychological cost of anticipated HIV stigma for HIV negative men. AIDS and Behavior, 17(8), 2732-2741.
- Parsons, J.T., Starks, T.J., DuBois, S., Grov, C., & Golub, S.A. (2013). Alternatives to monogamy among gay male couples in a community survey: Implications for mental health and sexual risk. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 42(2), 303-312.
- Parsons, J.T., Vial, A.C. Starks, T.J. & Golub, S.A. (2013). Recruiting drug-using men who have sex with men in behavioral intervention trials: A comparison of internet and field-based recruitment strategies. AIDS and Behavior, 17(2), 688-699.
- Wells, B., Starks, T.J., Parsons, J.T. & Golub, S.A. (2013). Conflict and sexual expectancies interact to predict sexual behavior under the influence. Journal of Health Psychology, 19(7), 821-835.
- Golub, S.A., Starks, T.J., Kowalczyk, W., Thompson, L. & Parsons, J.T. (2012). Profiles of executive functioning: Associations with substance dependence and risky sexual behavior. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26(4), 895-905.
- Golub, S.A., Starks, T.J., Payton, G., Weinberger, C.L. & Parsons, J.T. (2012). The Critical role of intimacy in the sexual risk behaviors of gay and bisexual men. AIDS and Behavior, 16(3), 626-632.
- Parsons, J.T., Starks, T.J, Gamarel, K.J. & Grov, C. (2012). (Non)monogamy and sexual relationship quality among same-sex male couples. Journal of Family Psychology, 26(5), 669-677.
- Starks, T.J., Golub, S.A., Kelly, D.K., & Parsons, J.T. (2010) The Problem of “just for fun”: Patterns of use situations among active club drug users, Addictive Behaviors, 35(12), 1067-1073.
- Starks, T.J., Nadler, J.T. Sagrestano & Sarvela, P.D. (2009). Examining the presence and meaning of discrepancies among sexual orientation components in a representative sample of men at risk for HIV/AIDS. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Mental Health,13, 234-252.
- Starks, T. J., Gilbert, B.O., Fischer, A.R., Weston, R.J., & DiLalla, D.L. (2009). Gendered sexuality: A New model and measure of attraction and intimacy. Journal of Homosexuality, 56, 14-30.