Ph.D., New York Medical College
Department of Psychology
Hunter College, Room 1607W
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065
My primary research interests involve the use of animal models to focus on the question of why some individuals are more vulnerable to the effects of drugs of abuse than are others. I utilize behavioral and neurochemicals techniques to study the effects of drugs of abuse on rodents. I frequently study these effects in different strains of mice that differ in their behavioral response to drugs of abuse in an attempt to elucidate neurochemical factors that may subserve an individual’s vulnerability the effects of drugs of abuse and, potentially, vulnerability to develop an addictive disease.
I have taught courses in the Psychology curriculum at Hunter College since 2007.
- Schlussman, S.D., Bourna, M., Brownstein, A.J., Zhang, Y. Ho, A., Kreek, M.J., Regional mRNA expression of GABAergic receptor subunits in brains of C57BL/6J and 129P3/J mice: Strain and heroin effects. Brain Research 1523:49-58. 2013
- Schlussman, S.D., Cassin J., Zhang Y., Levran O., Ho A., Kreek M.J., Regional mRNA expression of the endogenous opioid and dopaminergic systems in brains of C57BL/6J and 129P3/J mice: Strain and heroin effects. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100: 8-16. 2011
- Schlussman, S.D., Cassin, J., Levran, O., Zhang, Y. Ho, A. and Kreek, M.J, Relative expression of mRNA for the somatostatin receptors in the caudate putamen of C57BL/6J and 129P3/J mice: Strain and heroin effects. Brain Research 1345: 206-212. 2010
- Schlussman, S.D., Zhang, Y. Hsu, N.M., Allen, J.M. Ho, A. and Kreek, M.J. Heroin induced locomotor activity and conditioned place preference in C57BL/6J and 129P3/J mice. Neuroscience Letters 440: 284-288. 2008
- Schlussman, S.D., Zhang, Y., Kane, S., Stewart, C., Ho, A. and Kreek, M.J. Locomotion, stereotypy and dopamine D1 receptors after chronic “binge” cocaine in C57BL/6J and 129/J mice. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 75: 123-131. 2003
- Schlussman, S.D., Zhang, Y., Yuferov, V., LaForge, K.S., Ho, A. and Kreek, M.J. Acute “Binge” Cocaine Administration Elevates Dynorphin mRNA in the Caudate Putamen of C57BL/6J but not 129/J Mice. Brain Research 974: 249-253. 2003
- Schlussman, S.D., Zhou, Y., Johansson, P., Kiuru, A., Ho, A., Nyberg, F. and Kreek, M.J. Effects of the androgenic anabolic steroid, nandrolone decanoate, on ACTH, corticosterone and POMC, CRF and CRF R1 mRNA levels in the hypothalamus, pituitary and amygdala of the rat. Neuroscience Letters 284: 190-194. 2000
- Schlussman, S.D. Ho, A. Zhou, Y. Curtis, A.E. and Kreek, M.J. Effects of “binge” pattern cocaine on stereotypy and locomotor activity in C57BL/6J and 129/J mice: A dose response study. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior 60: 593-599. 1998.