Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Public Health FAQ


What is the Public Health study and profession?

What can I do with a BS degree in public health?

Hunter's public health (PH) curriculum prepares students for positions in hospitals and clinics, community, advocacy and non-profit domestic & internationally focused organizations, governmental agencies, corporate health offices, and health insurance and marketing firms. The major is also a stepping stone for students who seek advanced education such as a Master's in Public Health (MPH), Masters in Public Administration (MPA), Social Work, or in other health related areas.

How do I learn more about the Public Health BS major?-- Information Sessions!

RSVP for and attend an information session! In addition to reviewing our website, we typically offer an info session 1x per semester. Dates/time/location will also show on our website calendar when established. If unable to attend an info session and you have additional Public Health questions, email or call Nzinga Ajani or 212-396-7729, prospective student contact.

Current Hunter students should also make an appointment with main campus Academic Advising to confirm you are on the path to meet Pathway, Focus as well as Public Health prerequisite requirements. Advisors specializing in Public Health are Maureen O'Conor and Arthur Ford.

Where is Public Health located? Silberman Campus

Public Health is part of the School of Urban Public Health (UPH), located at Hunter's Silberman Campus, 2180 Third Avenue, NY, NY, 5th floor (119th Street & Third Avenue)

When are courses offered?

The Public Health BS is a day study only (generally no evening classes.) Courses meet at our Silberman campus, also the location for UPH/Comhe faculty and staff. Courses typically meet  one day per week, 2.30 hours, M-TH mornings or afternoon. Occassionally we may offer a class 4-6:30PM along with a few online classes. Each course is 3 credits.  Public Health major electives offered by other academic departments are at Hunter's main campus at 68th St & Lexington Avenue. [back to top]

Where do I locate Public Health courses on Hunter's online Schedule of Classes?

Look for 'Public Health-COMHE within the Cuny First online schedule pull-down menu[back to top].
In the Hunter online College Catalog, find Comhe listed under the School of Public Health.

What are the admissions requirements?

Public Health accepts new majors Fall semester.

Students apply as they approach junior level. We welcome both transfer and current Hunter students who have a minimum of 60 earned undergraduate credits upon the Fall admissions semester, including required prerequistes, and a minimum 3.0 GPA. Committed students with a slightly lower GPA should consult with Prof. Philip Alcabes, Public Health Faculty Director. Those with a more than slightly lower GPA SHOULD NOT apply for the major.

NOTE: Public Health BS majors must satisfy Hunter Focus foreign language requirement or get a foreign language waiver (via previous language study or foreign language competency testing--contact the respective Hunter foreign language department.)  Direct all questions regarding Pathways/CUNY Core and the Hunter Focus requirements to Hunter Academic Advising or, for transfer students, Hunter's Welcome Center.

How do I apply for the Public Health BS major?

Current Hunter Students
1. Complete our UPH/Public Health departmental application which we'll make public on our website early January. Deadline: March 15 but which can be extended for qualified applicants. Complete the Public Health application only once Fall grades and Spring registration appear on your transcript. DO NOT apply for the major if you do not meet the major admissions and prerequisite conditions described above and under our Admissions link.

Students transferring to Hunter must complete two applications
1. Complete our UPH/Public Health online application found on this website when it open early in the calendar year (Jan or Feb) as described above. If completing prerequisites Spring semester, complete the application after Spring registration so the prerequisites show in-progress. If you apply and select Public Health but are missing prerequisite grades or registration, you will be rejected both from Hunter, unless you've selected a second major at Hunter in the interim for which you qualify.

2. Complete a CUNY'S UAPC Transfer Application (mark public health as a major only if you have completed or, in the semester of application, are in the process of completing Public Health admissions prerequisites.)  DO NOT declare the Public Health major if you do not meet the major admissions and prerequisite conditions described above and under our Admissions link.Current Hunter Students:

When will I learn of my acceptance to the major?

Fall admittance application review begins mid-February. Hunter Admissions will usually inform you of the decision by late April. Students who have not yet successfully completed prerequisites may receive conditional admittance pending completion.

Transfer students: contact Hunter Undergraduate Admissions with questions re your application status. and/or track their transfer application via the UAPC website (see CUNY's transfer application website for information as UPH/Public Health is not able to assist with the transfer application.) If you've applied within the deadline, have a strong application, met or are meeting prerequisites, but are denied acceptance (to Hunter for transfer students) or to the major, examine the reason for denial and contact Hunter Admissions with questions.

How many applicants do you accept each year & what are the criteria of acceptance?

Public Health accepts 25-35 applicants each year. While we will accept late applications, consideration is contingent on space availability.

The Public Health admissions committee will review an applicants overall academic record and brief statement of interest. All applicants should select a second and third choice College and/or major in the event they are not accepted to Hunter and/or Public Health.

How many years to complete the major, and may I attend part-time?

With major courses offered 1x per year, most students attend full-time and study as a cohort and complete major courses in two years (four semesters.) Public Health does admit part-time students who typically complete major requirements in four years (8 semesters.)[back to top]

May I take Public Health Major Courses on a pass/fail or credit/no credit basis?

No, all Public Health major courses require a letter grade.

I am a transfer student. How are my courses evaluated for transfer?

Hunter undergraduate Admissions handles all aspects of the transfer application, including course equivalency evaluations. Students transferring courses from a two or four year CUNY school can use the online CUNY Course Catalog to cross-CUNY equivalencies (select your college, subject, course and press 'Fetch' to see equivalencies, if any, at each CUNY school.) If denied equivalency but you see the course appears to be equivalent to one offered at Hunter, email the respective Hunter academic department and include your transcript, course number and course syllabus and request equivalency review. If you do not have a syllabus, include the College's course catalog listing and, if known, the textbook used for the class plus author/publisher.

Do you have an orientation for accepted students?

Yes, the orientation is generally offered within the first week Fall semester.

Is there support to locate the required internship, and when can internship hours be completed?

Your academic advisor will provide assistance and strategies in locating an internship. We understand students often work and have other familial life obligations. While students register for the internship the second Spring semester of the major, Public Health permits students to begin or complete the internship during the preceding summer.

Do you have a Public Health student club?

Yes, both Public Health and Nutrition & Food Science students are encouraged to participate in the UPH Student Club. Students in both majors may also apply to serve as officers of the club.

Document Actions
« October 2021 »
Public Health website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065