General Fire Safety Information
At most campuses a Fire Warden is assigned to each floor and is responsible for implementing the fire safety policy and evacuation during an fire emergency.
- If you notice a fire - pull the fire alarm pull station - do not waste time calling public safety. (Once activated, the alarm goes directly to a central station and they automatically contact NYFD).
- If a "pull station" is not close to you then,
- Activate one of the silver wall mounted "Talk-Alert" boxes
- Dial 1-4444 on a main campus telephone
- Dial 911 on your cell phone.
- Fire extinguishers are located on all floors of all buildings.
- A Fire Warden is assigned to each floor and is responsible for implementing the fire safety policy and evacuation during an fire emergency.
- It is important to follow their instructions, they are there for your safety
- Stairway "A" is the primary staircase to be used for evacuation, unless told otherwise.
- Disabled individuals should enter the stairway and stay on the landing of their floor. NYFD will come and get you!
delay in public address announcements after a fire alarm sounds is
usually because public safety is investigating the source of the alarm
to determine what needs to be done.
- Always listen for public address announcements.
- If there is a fire or smoke condition in, or near an elevator shaft, the fire alarms will sound on all floors.
- Elevators will get automatically re-called to the lowest floor/lobby.
- Some elevators may be re-called to the main floor due to a fire.
- After a fire alarm is activated, the alarm and the elevators can not be reset until the NY Fire Department authorizes it and gives the "all clear".
- Evacuations may only occur on the "fire floor" and one floor above, and one floor below and not the entire building.
- Organized "Fire Brigades" will respond to the floor below the fire floor.