Sigma Delta Pi
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society, is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of South Carolina, a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and partners with the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, Estudio Internacional Sampere, the Instituto Universitario de Investigación en Estudios Norteamericanos Benjamin Franklin, the International Association of Hispanists and the North American Academy of the Spanish Language. Founded at the University of California, Berkeley in 1919. (courtesy of www. SigmaDeltaPi.org)
The requirements for undergraduate and graduate students as published in the national by-laws are as follow:
1. Each candidate must have completed three years of study of college-level Spanish (18 semester credit hours) or the equivalent thereof, including at least three semester hours of a course in Hispanic literature or Hispanic culture and civilization (Spanish for the professions may be considered as a substitute course provided that culture is the foundation of the course content) at the Junior/3rd year level. A student may be admitted to active membership while still enrolled in the second junior-level course if all other requirements have been met and if the instructor of the course certifies that the student's work is of "B" or "A" quality.
2. The student must have a minimal grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in all Spanish courses taken. (The candidate MUST have earned grades in completed Spanish courses in order to qualify for membership.)
3. The student must rank in the upper 35% of his/her class- sophomore, junior or senior - and must have completed at least three semesters of five quarters of college work (institutions unable to generate class rank should use a 3.2 cumulative grade point average as this criterion).
4. Graduate students who have been unconditionally admitted to a degree granting program may be elected to membership upon completion of two graduate courses in Spanish with an average which, if continued, will make them eligible for a graduate degree.
5. Sigma Delta Pi does not discriminate on the base of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age or disability.
If you fulfill the previous requirements, please submit a transcript (official copy preferred) and a $30.00 money order or check (paid to "SIGMA DELTA PI") to room 1323HW (If professor Hernandez-Ojeda is not in her office, please slip/slide these documents in an envelope under the door).
|CHAPTER ADVISOR||Prof. María Hernández-Ojeda|
|SUPPORT STAFF||Alexis Rodríguez|
Follow us on FACEBOOK to keep updated with the latest events and meetings...
Visit our National Website HERE!