Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Romance Languages » Undergraduate » Language Requirement
Document Actions

Fulfilling your language requirement

Hallway Chanin Lab1


PLEASE NOTE: The description below only applies to Hunter students who were accepted prior to fall 2013. Those students who entered after Spring 2013, please see an undergraduate advisor.


All BA, BFA, and BMus students at Hunter College must fulfill a graduation requirement of intermediate (fourth semester) foreign language proficiency. The requirement of four semesters of language courses or an equivalent combination of college and high school courses is fulfilled only if all four semesters are completed in the same language. (Undergraduate Catalogue, page 29).

Hunter College students who wish to take a French, Italian or Spanish course for the first time need to see their respective adviser, even if they have taken previous courses at another college or throughout High School.

It is recommended that students begin the first two semesters of foreign language proficiency within their first 30 credits at Hunter. Students are urged to complete the Foreign Language requirement in consecutive semesters if possible, as gaps in Foreign Language instruction tend to adversely affect student performance.

Students in BS programs should check the requirements for their specific program. Students who change from a BS to a BA program must meet the foreign language requirement for the BA degree.

The department of Romance Languages offers a number of resources to students, such as Language Tutors and the Chanin Language Lab, where you can take the Language Placement Test.

Why learn ...

...a foreign language? The Modern Languages Association tells you the reasons why it is crucial to learn a foreign language HERE.

Placement Test


For dates and information, please click HERE