ESL Resources for Students
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English: Straightforward definitions and examples.
- Merriam-Webster Online: One of the most popular dictionaries.
- Oxford English Dictionary: The most authoritative dictionary which includes word histories with historical textual examples.
- YourDicitionary: Online dictionary for 150 languages with contextual examples.
- Visuwords: Interactive visual dictionary showing the relationships between words, their definitions and other related words.
- Academic Word List: A list of the 3,000 most commonly used academic words and their definitons.
- Grammar at About.com: Thorough grammar and writing explanations and a variety of practice activities.
- A Guide to Grammar and Writing: Explanations, activities, and quizzes on grammar and writing from sentence structure to research essays.
- Self-Study Grammar Quizzes Self-paced quizzes on a variety of grammar issues.
- ESL Blues. Highly recommended site for pre-intermediate to high intermediate level English.
- English Language Centre, Study Zone, University of Victoria, British Columbia. Interactive grammar exercises for students at the intermediate to advanced level.
- Grammar Bytes Videos, interactive exercizes and quizzes on grammar.
- English Grammar Online Variety of exercizes and explanations on writing as well as reading passages on different topics.
Vocabulary and Idioms
- American Idioms Alphabetical list of idioms with definitions and example usage.
- Academic Word List Exercises based on the 3,000 most often used academic words in English.
- Quizlet Customizable vocabulary and other study flashcards.
- Times in Plain English: A strightforward version of the articles in the New York Times.
- News ELA: National and world news that can be adjusted for reading level.
- Lingual Net: Collection of video clips from television and movies with transcripts.
- English Listening Lounge: Listening passages arranged by topic, purpose, and level.
- National Public Radio: Listen to daily news and commentary.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: A large collection of digitized audio cuts organized by levels.
- Science Friday: Weekly radio show on technical topics.
- Voice of America: Listen to international news in English and many other languages.
- Listen and Read Along: Specialized English broadcast radio programs that are easy to follow and enjoy.
- Using English for Academic Purposes: Explains conventions of academic writing including expectations in word choice, documentation, and organization for various disciplines.
- What is an Academic Paper, Dartmouth University: Detailed explanation of the expectations and aspects of writing for college from creating an informed argument to focused revison.
- Paradigm Online: Explanations and activities to illustrate and practice the writing process and writing informal and formal essays.
- English as a Second Language: at About.com Explanations and activities for reading, writing, speaking, and listening for all levels of English langauge learners
- ESL Town: Learn English online: games, pen pals, chats, quizzes, and grammar.
- Interesting Things for ESL/EFL Students: Quizzes, proverbs, anagrams, and other puzzles for language learners of all levels