Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home School of Education Admissions FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Program Information
Application Information
Information for International Students 


Graduate Program Information

Where can I learn more about your programs?

Visit the online Hunter College Graduate Catalog or speak to an Admissions Advisor in person at the School of Education Admissions Office, Room 1000 Hunter West. No appointment is necessary.

When does the School of Education host Information Sessions? 

Please click here for upcoming Information Sessions and to RSVP. 

How long does it take to complete a graduate program? 

Time to completion varies per program, and depends on whether students attend full- or part-time. Our programs range from 12-60 credits and typically take students one to four years to complete. Most students take about 6 credits each semester, including summers.

What would my course schedule look like?

Most classes begin at 4:30 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. However, students who work during the day will need to have flexibility in their schedules for field work and student teaching or practicum.

Are classes offered on the weekends?


Can I take classes in the Summer?

Many programs offer courses during the summer. Students should not assume that classes will be held during the summer. Summer class offerings will be announced late in the Spring semester each year.

How much is tuition? 

You can find all the information you need regarding tuition and fees, payment plans, and other payment options by visiting the Finances section of Hunter's One Stop for Students web center.

Are there any scholarships or grants available?

There are a limited number of scholarships offered by Hunter College after admission. No application is necessary.

The  Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College can provide you with information and federal aid options for the following programs:

  • Federal Stafford Loan
  • Federal Supplemental Loan to Students (SLS)
  • Federal Perkins Loan 
  • Federal College Work Study (FCWS)
  • New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

    Application Information

    Where can I get an application?

    Hunter’s application system is completely online. Click here to create an account and submit your application.

    When is the application deadline?

    February 1: All international applicants, School Counseling and Mental Health Counseling.
    February 15: Dance Education
    March 15: All other School of Ed Programs

    September 1: All international students
    October 15: All programs

    Note: The following programs do not accept applications for Spring: Dance Education, Educational Psychology, Childhood STEM, Doctor of Education, Special Education Additional Certificates

    What are the admission requirements for your programs?

    General application requirements can be found here. However, specific course prerequisites vary by program. Before you apply, please consult the program page to ensure you have met all of the course prerequisites.

    Are there special requirements for Adolescent Foreign Language program applicants?

    Yes. The Advanced Level Check of the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) is required for applicants to the Chinese, French, Italian and Spanish Education programs. Click here to register for the test from Language Testing International.

    How do I submit my materials for a creative arts education program?

    Music Education Applicants: Schedule an audition via the Music Department website.

    Visual Education Applicants: Submit your portfolio online via Slideroom.

    Is the GRE exam required?

    The GRE is required for all graduate teacher education and school building leader programs. This includes initial certification, professional certification, and advanced certificate programs. The Hunter College ETS code for the GRE is 2301.

    Can the GRE requirement be waived?

    New York state law allows Hunter College to exempt up to 15% of students from the GRE. Students can submit a GRE Exemption Request Form. The form and attachments should be emailed to with subject title: GRE EXEMPTION REQUEST. Because students can be admitted conditionally without GRE scores, exemption requests will be reviewed and granted on a rolling basis.

    Is there a minimum GRE score?

    No, the state has not yet set a minimum score.

    Do you accept transfer credit from other graduate schools?

    The Admissions Office cannot evaluate transfer credits prior to submission of an application. If you are admitted, faculty will determine if transfer of credit could be granted after you have enrolled. For more information about the Hunter College Graduate Transfer of Credit policy click here.

    How long will it take for my application to be reviewed?

    Our faculty review committees carefully review each application after it’s complete. As a result we cannot guarantee that applicants will receive a response, favorable or unfavorable, on or before any specific date. However, the majority of applicants receive a decision within 6 weeks of the application deadline.

    How can I check the status of my application? 

    You may check your status through the ApplyYourself online application system. Once a decision has been made, you may login to view your decision. Students are also notified of admission decisions in writing from the Graduate Admission Office. If you wish to confirm receipt of your application and materials, contact the Graduate Admissions office at 212-772-4505 or

    How do I appeal my admission decision?

    To appeal your decision, please send an email to Please put “Appeal” in the subject line and explain why you are appealing the decision. Provide any additional information that supports your appeal. Decisions on appeals will be sent out after the admissions cycle has been complete for that semester. NOTE: This process applies only to applicants to graduate programs and is not related to undergraduate admissions. Appeals must be sent within fifteen days of an applicant's notification of the admissions decision.

    Can I defer my admission?

    No. Hunter College does not grant deferrals of admission; you must reapply.

    I was accepted in a previous admission cycle. Can I still attend?

    No. Hunter College does not grant deferrals of admission; you must reapply.

    May I apply as a non-matriculated or non-degree student?

    Yes, the school of education offers non-degree courses on a limited basis pending departmental permission and availability of space. Only certain courses are available for non-degree study. Please click here for a complete course list and application.

    Information for International Students

    Who is considered an international student?

    Students who have completed their bachelor’s degree outside the U.S. where English was not the native language. Students who have completed fewer than 90 credits toward their bachelor's degree in the U.S.

    Do you require the TOEFL?

    Yes; students who have completed their bachelor’s degree outside the U.S. or who have completed fewer than 90 credits toward their bachelor's degree in the U.S. are required to take the TOEFL.

    Please direct the Educational Testing Service (ETS) ( to send your TOEFL scores to Hunter College, Graduate Admissions Office, institutional code 2301.

    What are the required minimum TOEFL scores for your programs?

    • Overall: Paper Based Test: 575/ Computer Administered Test: 233/ IBT: 68 (less speaking component)

    • Writing: Paper Based Test: 4.5/ IBT Writing Section: 22

    • Speaking: Paper Based Test: 45/ IBT Speaking Section: 23

    Document Actions
    School of Education website feedback: email us
    695 Park Ave
    NY, NY 10065