Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home School of Education Admissions Financial Aid

Financing Your Degree

Please note that Hunter will prepackage loans for Graduate students, effective 2016-2017. Graduate students who file a FAFSA will automatically (once admitted) get an award notice with the total loan eligibility amount. Students will be able to see the award once admitted and will subsequently be able to accept /apply online as soon as they are matriculated/ deposited.

Students should complete the FAFSA every year as soon as possible.

For more information on completing the FAFSA, please visit

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP helps eligible New York residents attending in-state post secondary  institutions on a full time basis (12 credits) pay for tuition. TAP awards for  graduate students at Hunter College range from $75 to $550. Because  TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.

How to apply

  • Complete  the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CUNY TAP/APTS Application. The latter will be mailed to you by CUNY after CUNY receives an electronic record of your FAFSA information is received by CUNY from the federal application processor.


William D.  Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

(Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

The William  D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program makes funds available  to undergraduate and graduate students directly from the U.S. government.  Direct Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. A subsidized loan  is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students will not be charged  any interest before beginning repayment or during authorized periods  of deferment. The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during  these periods. An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of  need. Students are charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed  until it is paid in full. Students may allow the interest to accumulate and to be capitalized-that is, the interest will be added to the principal  amount of the loan and additional interest will be based upon the  higher amount. Generally, a graduate student may borrow the total cost of attendance, up to $18,500  each academic year. (Not more than $8,500 of this amount may be in subsidized Direct Loans.) A student may receive less than the yearly maximum amounts if the student receives other financial aid that is used to cover a portion of the cost of attendance. The total debt a student can have outstanding  from all Direct and Stafford Loans ( combined is $138,500 as a graduate or professional student (only $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized  loans). The graduate debt limit includes any Direct or Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.

How to apply

  • Complete a the Free Application for Federal  Student Aid (FAFSA) and the a Hunter College Request for a Direct Student Loan. The Request for a Direct Student Loan may be found at the "Printable Forms" part of the Office of Financial Aid website at:, or you may pick up the request at the OASIS in Room  N217.


Federal Perkins  Loan

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and  graduate students with exceptional financial need. Hunter College is the lender. The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by Hunter College. Federal Perkins Loan awards for graduate students at CUNY range from $800 to $4000. Students must repay this loan to Hunter College.

How to apply

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate on the FAFSA that you are interested in borrowing a student loan.


Federal Work-Study

The Federal  Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related  to the student’s course of study. Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but may be higher, depending on the type of work and the skills required. The total Federal Work-Study award depends on the student’s level of need, and the amount of funds available at CUNY. Federal Work-Study awards for graduate students at CUNY range from $1,000 to $2,000.

How to apply

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate on the FAFSA that you are interested in a work-study job.


Eligibility Requirements

Unless otherwise stated above, the general eligibility requirements  for the financial aid programs described above are:

  • Based on student's cost of attendance and financial need, except for the Unsubsidized Direct Loan program.
  • Enrollment at least half time (6 credits) working toward a degree.
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible non-citizenship satisfactory academic progress.
  • No default on a federal student loan.
  • No money owed on a federal student grant.
  • Registered with Selective Service, if required.


Information for filing the FAFSA

Every student who wants to apply for federal or state financial aid at CUNY must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available at the OASIS in Room N217 at Hunter College. The FAFSA may also be completed on the World Wide Web. See the FAFSA on the Web site at Once the FAFSA is processed, students will receive a Student Aid Report  (SAR) in the mail or through email. If Hunter College was one of the colleges reported by the student on the FAFSA to receive the FAFSA information, the Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College also receives an electronic record of the application. Some students who file a FAFSA will have their application selected by the U.S. Department of Education for a process called verification. These students must provide copies of their (and their spouse’s) federal income tax returns and additional household information to the Office of Financial Aid.

Some students who file a FAFSA may also have their applications selected  for review by CUNY if the application information seems incorrect or  inconsistent. These students must review their application information  with the Office of Financial Aid and provide explanations and/or make  appropriate corrections to the application information. Until this process  is complete, no aid can be awarded to the student.


For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at: or (212) 772-4820


Document Actions
School of Education website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065