Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home School of Education Current Students Teacher Certification

Teacher Certification

Register on the New York State Education Department (NYSED) TEACH Online System.

Registering on TEACH will allow you to update your contact information, education and teaching experiences, and to ensure that certification examination results are correct and to apply for fingerprint clearance (see below for more information on fingerprint clearance). 

Once you have registered on TEACH, you will use the same username/password to apply for your initial and/or professional certification towards the end of your program. Instructions on how to register on TEACH are available online.



If you are completing or have completed a NYS certification program for teachers, school counselors and school building leaders/school district leaders, you will apply for your certification through the New York State Education Department. All certificate applications are processed online through the TEACH online system. You must be registered on TEACH before you can apply for certification. Instructions on how to register on TEACH are available online. Institutional recommendations are sent automatically and electronically to NYSED only after your graduation has been posted to your record.

Instructional handouts on applying for certification have been designed to help you through the process. Find your program from the program code list and read through all of the instructions. Recommendations are sent after your graduation is posted by degree audit division.

Keep in mind the basic requirements for certification* in all areas:

  • Complete your program of study;
  • Pass all required New York State Teacher Certification Exams (ALST, EAS, CST(s)* and edTPA);
  • Complete the DASA workshop;
  • Clear your fingerprints with NYSED. If you were fingerprinted by the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE), you need not apply again; submit the OSPRA 104 form instead. If you have not been fingerprinted yet, apply online and post fingerprint cards separately. Visit our Fingerprinting page for more information.
*List of exams for certification by specific program area.

Note: The School of Education reserves the right not to recommend for certification any student who has committed a serious breach of professional ethics or behavior.

Applying for Professional Certification

Students who graduate from a master's degree certification program will be recommended for initial and professional certification (in the area of their graduate study at Hunter College). Most graduates will apply for the initial certificate when they graduate. Once teacher candidates have completed three years of full-time, paid teaching experience (including one year of mentored teaching), they can apply for professional certification. The instructions on applying for professional certification are nearly the same as applying for initial certifiation and they are available on our web site. Recommendation for professional certification should already be on the NYSED TEACH account.

Note: The School of Education reserves the right not to recommend for certification any student who has committed a serious breach of professional ethics or behavior.

Students with Prior Certification (Applying through Certificate Progression Pathway)

Some graduate students may have initial certification before they started their programs at Hunter College because their program required initial certification for admission. Students with prior certification can apply for professional certification after three years of teaching experience in addition to their master's degree. Permanent certification is no longer an option, except for school counselors. Students with initial certification in an area outside of their certification program at Hunter College will apply for their professional certification through Certificate Progression pathway. We cannot recommend for professional certification for these prior certificates (e.g. Literacy student cannot be recommended for professional certificate in childhood education) so do not use your Hunter College program code to apply for professional certification in another area.

Hunter College can only recommend students in short programs (those that required initial certification) for certification that is related to their program. (Refer to our Certification Chart for information on which certificates we can recommend based on your program at Hunter). TESOL program 2 can only recommend for certification in ESOL; Childhood Special Education (LD & BD) short program can only recommend for Students with Disabilities Grades 1-6 certification. Students who hold certification in areas outside of their program will apply for the next level certification through Certificate Progression pathway. Follow these instructions on applying for your professional certification through Certificate Progression.

School counseling graduates who already hold provisional certificates can apply for their permanent certificate through the approved preparation program pathway. We have instructions on our web site. Recommendations are sent after graduation is posted.

Questions about certification or requests for recommendations should be directed to the School of Education, Office of Educational Services at Please check on your TEACH account first before emailing us on your application status and to see if recommendation was already sent and entered in to your account.


Current Students

 All students should register themselves with NYSED's TEACH Online Services. Instructions are available online.


Students with Expiring Certificates

If you are currently certified in initial or transitional B certificate and will not graduate in time to meet the master’s requirement for your expiring certificate, you may be eligible for an extension to the validity of your certification. Apply for the extension to your teaching certificate online through NYSED’s TEACH Online Services.  If you have not registered yet with NYSED's TEACH Online Services, follow our instructions on how to register on TEACH. Be sure you have access to a printer and pay for your time extension with a credit card. Once you have completed your application online, you will be instructed to submit all documentation, including official transcripts to NYSED. Please follow their instructions thoroughly. You will need to write out your plan of completion and have your program adviser sign it. You will also need a program status letter to accompany your extension application. You can make your request for a status letter by emailing You can order your official transcript through the Hunter College web site. 

Visit NYSED's FAQs page on Expired Certificates/Time Extensions/Renewals

Internship Certificate

Current students who need no more than one year to graduate may be eligible for a NYS teaching certificate by way of an Internship Certificate. Please read below for Hunter College requirements for an internship certificate. All deadline dates and requirements are the same for internship certificate and practicum as practicum is a requirement for the internship certificate. INTERNSHIP CERTIFICATE APPLICATION.

You may be eligible for an Internship Certificate if you are a graduate student in a master’s degree program leading to initial certification and:

  1. You hold a teaching position that requires you to have NYS Certification in order to retain that position, or you have a commitment for a teaching position with the proviso that you obtain NYS Certification (deadline date for obtaining this letter of commitment is the last day of late registration);
  2. You have passed the EAS* and CST(s) (must be passed prior to the deadline date); 
  3. You have completed the NYSED's required DASA (anti-bullying) workshop; 
  4. You will have completed more than half the credits in your program before the Internship Certificate is issued and need no more than one year to complete the remainder of your program’s requirements ; and
  5. You meet your program’s requirements for admission to a practicum class.

*If you hold a valid initial or professional certification in another area, you are exempted from the EAS requirement but will need to show proof of passing the LAST and the ATS-W.

Program at Hunter 
CST exam
Adolescent and Creative Arts Education
Subject area of certification (e.g. Biology, Dance, Spanish) 
Childhood Education
Multi Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grades 1-6)
Early Childhood Education Multi Subject: Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth - Grade 2)
Adolescent Special Education Multi Subject: Secondary Teachers (Grades 7-12) and
Students with Disabilities 
Childhood Special Education (including Severe/Multiple Disabilities)
Multi Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grades 1-6) and 
Students with Disabilities
Early Childhood Special Education (including Severe/Multiple Disabilities) Multi Subject: Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth - Grade 2)
and Students with Disabilities 
Deaf and Hard of Hearing 
Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Blind and Visually Impaired Blind and Visually Impaired

The Internship Certificate allows a teacher candidate to serve as a teacher while completing the master’s degree program. A condition of the Internship Certificate is that you must be enrolled in practicum for each semester you are teaching with the Internship Certificate.

Because of the requirement for college supervision during the internship period, the School of Education will recommend teacher candidates only if they are able to graduate in no more than one year plus one or two summers. If you are planning to apply for an Internship Certificate do not complete your student teaching/practicum requirement before the Internship period.  You must be enrolled in the practicum course and be supervised by a faculty member of the Hunter School of Education during each semester that you hold the Internship Certificate. All internship certificate applicants must meet with their program coordinator and have their coursework plan of completion approved prior to applying for practicum/internship certificate.

The general criteria for an Internship Certificate recommendation are as follows:

  1. A GPA of at least 3.2.
  2. A plan for program completion signed by the program coordinator that will enable the teacher candidate to graduate in no more than one semester or one semester plus a summer.
  3. A letter from the principal or director of the school or other educational agency (on institution’s letterhead) in New York City indicating offer of a teaching position provided that NYS internship certification is obtained. Subject and grade level must be specified.
  4. Enrollment in practicum during the semester of the Internship period.
  5. Students who have completed their student teaching or practicum requirement are not eligible for an internship certificate.


Special Education (Early Childhood and Childhood Grades) candidates may apply for and teach only under the Students with Disabilities certificate. Under no circumstances may Special Education students apply for a General Education internship certificate.

Please note that all pre-requisite courses for your program’s practicum course must be completed before applying for the Internship Certificate and your plan of completion must include all co-requisite courses. In addition, other pre-requisite courses for the Internship Certificate are as follows by program:

  • Childhood Education: EDC 715-Fieldwork in Reading and Social Studies.
  • Early Childhood Special Education: SPEDE 776-Field Experiences in Early Childhood Special Education; ECC 712-Pre-Student Teaching Field Placement (for those in Program 1A).
  • Early Childhood Education: ECC 712-Pre-Student Teaching Field Placement.
  • Childhood Special Education: SPED 781/782 (LD), SPED 751 (BD).
  • Adolescent Education:  completed 8-10 credits in the subject area and all education courses except Methods II, SEDF 706 and SEDC 720.

Application Deadline: You must submit the practicum application indicating you wish to apply for the internship certificate along with passing exam scores and the DASA workshop by the practicum deadline date. Commitment letters from schools may be turned in after the deadline date. If you have initial approval for practicum/internship certificate, you will be informed when the deadline date is for your commitment letter. Check with the Office of Clinical Experiences on deadline dates and applications for practicum/internship certificate.

Document Actions

School of Education website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065