Admission Requirements - M.A. Degree
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
2. A minimum of 21 credits of advanced courses in British, American or World Literature written in English (no more than 3 credits of the latter).
3. A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following (in addition to an English major): 6 credits in a language other than English (3 years of high school study in the same foreign language with grades of C or better documented by high school transcript will meet this requirement), 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), 3 credits in the arts, and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
4. Students must submit a writing sample of about 10 pages (preferably an undergraduate research paper of literary criticism).
5. Two references (preferably including at least one academic reference) to be included with the application for admission.
6. A personal statement to be completed as part of the application for admission.