1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and a major in Chinese with a grade point average of 3.0, including a minimum of 18 credits in Chinese literature above the intermediate level and oral proficiency at the advanced low level of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI);
2. Applicants who do not have a Chinese major but have a liberal arts and science major (or interdisciplinary liberal arts or science concentration) of at least 30 credits can take two exams to meet the Chinese coursework requirement: the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and the Written Proficiency Test (WPT) administered by American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL). Candidates must achieve a minimum score of advanced-low on each to meet the admission requirement and must achieve a passing score on the on-site written test in English about Chinese literature. *
PLUS (for ALL applicants)
3. A general education core in the liberal arts and science to include the following: 6 credits in English, 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), 3 credits in the arts, and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
4. Two professional references to be included with the application for admission.
5. A personal statement to be completed as part of the application for admission.
6. An interview conducted in Chinese/English with program adviser.
7. An on-site English writing sample.