Admission Requirements - M.A. Degree
1. (A) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better and a major in Spanish with a grade point average of 3.0 with a minimum of 18 credits in upper-level Spanish literature (not to include courses in civilization/culture, linguistics or advanced language).
(B) Applicants who do not have a Spanish major but have a liberal arts and science major (or interdisciplinary liberal arts or science concentration) of at least 30 credits may take a Spanish literature exam designed and administered by the Department. They must also achieve a minimum grade of Advanced Low on the ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test.
2. A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following (in addition to a Spanish major): 6 credits in English, 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), 3 credits in the arts, and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
3. Two professional references to be included with the application for admission.
4. A personal statement to be completed as part of the application for admission.
5. Oral proficiency at the Advanced Low level on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) Advanced Level Check Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI).