Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home School of Education Programs Graduate Programs Counseling How to Get Certified (individual evaluation)

How to Get Certified (individual evaluation)

Individual Evaluation Pathway: Not eligible for institutional recommendation



*If you have not registered with TEACH Online Services, follow the instructions on how to register first.



STEP 1: Verify/Update Profile

Verify/Update Profile will ask for your Education and Employment information. Enter all the information from a baccalaureate to present. Hunter College is an Approved New York Teacher Certification Programs.  Your program at Hunter College is not an Approved New York Teacher Certification Programs.  Select:

All Other Programs and Coursework

  • Institution: CUNY HUNTER COLLEGE
    Degree: Master’s Degree
    Major: Other - Rehabilitation Counseling
  • Enter all full-time, paid teaching experience (in both public and private schools).


STEP 2: Select Certificate(s)

Select your Certificate Title

  • Select your Area of Interest: Administration and Pupil Personnel Services
  • Select your Subject Area: School Counseling
  • Select the Grade Level: Pre K-12 All Grades
  • Select the Title: School Counselor
  • Select your Certificate Type: Provisional
    Note: You can apply for the Permanent certificate after two years of counseling experience.

You must [Add] each certificate you want to apply for.

Select “Pathway: Individual Evaluation”.


STEP 3: Sign Affidavit

Answer all *questions and click on [Sign Affidavit]. By signing this affidavit, you are confirming that the information you have provided is true and contains no misrepresentations.


STEP 4: Confirm and Sign Application

Make sure that you have completed the correct application and click on [Sign Application].


STEP 5: Make Payment ($100)

It is highly advised to pay by credit card. Credit card transactions are easier to track.

The next page will show “Application Transaction Summary”. This will help you keep track of what you need to do in order to obtain your certificate.

You must send your official transcript to NYSED for evaluation. You will also need to obtain a letter from the School of Education indicating the completion of practicum in a school setting. You can request that from John O’Neill in the Counseling Department.



If you have applied for a certificate but have not yet graduated, the status of your certificate application will be “Not Ready for Review”. Once your graduation is posted, have met all the requirements and have institutional recommendation, your status will change to “Ready for Review” and NYSED will then review your application.

If have problems using TEACH, report them online directly to the TEACH Tech Support through their Web site at

Please keep in mind that you are not applying through the Approved Preparation Program pathway. Hunter College does not give institutional recommendation for your certificate application.

Document Actions
School of Education website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065