Applicants must be admitted by both the School of Education and the Music Department.
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
2. A major in music (with a minimum of 24 credits) or the equivalent. See the Music department section of the Hunter College catalog for additional requirements.
3. A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following (in addition to music): 6 credits in English, 6 credits in a language other than English (3 years of high school study in the same foreign language with grades of C or better documented by high school transcript will meet this requirement), 6 credits in social studies (with at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
4. Two professional references to be included with the application for admission.
5. A personal statement to be completed as part of the application for admission.
6. An audition and interview.