Programs 1 and 2
1. Bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.0.
2. A major in music or music education (with a minimum of 24 credits in music) or the equivalent. See the Music department section of the Hunter College catalog for additional requirements.
3. A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following (in addition to music): 6 credits in English; 6 credits in a language other than English (3 years of high school study in the same foreign language with grades of C or better documented by high school transcript will meet this requirement); 6 credits in social studies (with at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography); and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
4. A 3 credit course in Special Education that focuses on supporting students with disabilities in the general education classroom. Students without this course may be admitted conditionally and must take SPED 708 in addition to other degree requirements.
5. Two professional references to be included with the application for admission.
6. A personal statement to be completed as part of the application for admission.
7. An audition and interview.
8. Program 2 only: NYS initial certification in Music PreK-12.