- Teaching certificate in New York State: initial, professional or permanent certification in any area
- Master's degree in education or a related services field (speech and language pathology, physical therapy, nursing) with a GPA of 3.5 or better
- Completion of SPED 700 (Issues &Practices in Educating Students with Disabilities) or the equivalent with a grade of B or better for all applicants without a Master's Degree in Special Education.
- Evidence of acceptable writing skills
- Three letters of recommendation
- Evidence of work, volunteer, or personal experience with individuals with visual impairments
- An interview with a special education faculty member.