A. 12-Credit Progress Standards for Matriculated Students
1. Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 in order to continue in the program.
2. Students with more than one course grade below B in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
3. Student who receive a grade of F in any course in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
4. Students with one grade of IN (Incomplete) within the first 12 credits are restricted from registering for more than one additional course. Those with two or more INs will not be allowed to register for any courses.
Note: It is recommended that when not enrolled in any course students take an official leave of absence to complete their INs.
5. Program 1 students must take the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) or the Academic Literacy Skills Test (for those graduating in May 2014 and thereafter) of the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations and submit their scores to the Office of Educational Services before they complete 12 credits of course work. Any student who does not receive a passing score must enroll in the school's reading/writing workshop for teachers before being permitted to register for any further courses.
B. Fieldwork Benchmark
All field experiences and student teaching will take place in New York City public schools.
Students must receive a grade of at least B in fieldwork and clinical teaching courses (e.g., SPED 782, SPED 784, CEDC 729; ECC 712; SPEDE 776 or SPEDE 767). Any student who receives a grade of B-, C+ or C must apply to the chair of the department for permission to retake the course, which may be repeated only once.
Students with a grade of F will not be allowed to continue.
In order to enroll in student teaching or supervised practicum, all students must:
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- Have no outstanding INs.
- Complete at least 15 SPED credits, including the pre-student teaching field assignments that are part of SPED 700, 701 or 791 and 702 or 702.50 and have taken or be registered concurrently for one methods course (e.g., SPED 706, 706.50, 731, 741, 751, 781, 781.50).