The Pre-K-12 Program 1 prepares students for New York State certification in TESOL.
1. A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 from an accredited bachelor’s degree program or 3.5 from a master’s degree program. Those applicants who have a GPA between 2.8 and 3.0 may be interviewed by the TESOL faculty and accepted on a non matriculated basis if space is available
2. A liberal arts or sciences major or interdisciplinary concentration of at least 30 credits
3. A general education core in liberal arts and sciences to include:
- • 12 credits of foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language.
• 9 credits in communication and English with at least one course in written analysis and expression and one course in English literature.
• 9 credits in science and mathematics, with at least one course in math and one course in science (a college course in calculus satisfies 6 credits of this requirement).
• 6 credits in social studies (including at least one course in history or geography).
• 3 credits in the arts.
• 3 credits in information retrieval (library studies, research, computer literacy, or educational technology).
4. Satisfactory communication skills, as demonstrated through an oral interview and an on-site writing sample.
5. Submission of two letters of recommendation to be included in the graduate application.
6. A statement of purpose to be included in the graduate application.
7. Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit an official TOEFL score report. These applicants must score at least a 600 on the paper-administered test or 250 on the computer administered test or 75 (less speaking component) on the TOEFL IBT. They must score at least 5.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE) or 24 on the IBT Writing Section, and 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or 26 on the IBT Speaking section.