The PreK-12 Program 2 is intended for students who already have prior New York State certification in another subject area. Students completing this program qualify for New York State certification in TESOL.
1. A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 from an accredited bachelor’s degree program or a GPA of 3.5 from a master’s program.
2. 12 credits of foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in a Foreign Language.
3. Proof of New York State teacher certification in a subject area other than TESOL (specifically, early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education; special subjects; students with disabilities; or literacy).
4. Satisfactory communication skills, as demonstrated through an oral interview and an on-site writing sample.
5. Submission of two letters of recommendation, to be included in the graduate application.
6. Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit an official TOEFL score report. These applicants must score at least a 600 on the paper-administered test or 250 on the computer administered test or 75 (less speaking component) on the TOEFL IBT. They must score at least 5.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE) or 24 on the IBT Writing Section; and 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or 26 on the IBT Speaking section.