1. A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 from an accredited bachelor’s degree program or a GPA of 3.5 from a master’s degree program. Applicants who have an undergraduate GPA between 2.8 and 3.0 may be interviewed by the TESOL faculty and accepted on a nonmatriculated basis if space is available.
2. 12 credits of foreign-language study documented on the transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as College Level Proficiency Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in a Foreign Language.
3. Submission of two letters of recommendation to be included in the graduate application.
4. A statement of purpose to be included in the graduate application.
5. Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit an official TOEFL score report. These applicants must score at least a 600 on the paper-administered test or 250 on the computer administered test or 75 (less speaking component) on the TOEFL IBT. They must score at least 5.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE) or 24 on the IBT Writing Section; and 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or 26 on the IBT Speaking section.
6. Satisfactory communication skills, as demonstrated through an oral interview and an on-site writing sample.