Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves a paper application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by November 1 for the spring term and April 1 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits but no more than 90 credits.
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120.
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in English.
- Transfer students will have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA concentration in Preparation for Secondary School Teaching: 30 credits in English including:
- 18 credits in literature courses
- 6 credits in writing courses
- 3 credits in language courses
- 3 credits in elective
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
The courses listed below are required for BA Adolescent English students. Some of these courses may be used towards the GER:
- ENGL 120 and 220;
- Two courses selected from: HIST 151/HIST 152/GEOG 101;
- STAT 113;
- 9 credits in Math, Science or Technology with at least one science course with a lab component;
- 6 credits in the arts;
- One course that focuses on communication (see Program Advisor for acceptable courses); and
- 12 credits of study in a language other than English (or exemption on basis of equivalency).
Other State Certification Requirements
- Students must pass the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) of the New York State Teacher Certification Exam prior to student teaching.
- Students should plan to take the ATS-W Secondary and CST English prior to graduation.
- Fingerprints must be cleared prior to student teaching.