Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves an application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by October 15 for the spring term and March 15 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits but no more than 90 credits.
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120.
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in one of the following: Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Russian or Spanish.
- Transfer students will have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA in Adolescent Education: 33-credit major in Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Russian or Spanish.
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
The courses listed below are required for BA Adolescent Education students. Some of these courses may be used towards the GER:
- ENGL 120 and 220;
- Two courses selected from: HIST 151/HIST 152/GEOG 101;
- STAT 113;
- 9 credits in Math, Science or Technology with at least one science course with a lab component;
- 6 credits in the arts;
- One course that focuses on communication (see Program Advisor for acceptable courses)
Other State Certification Requirements
- Get fingerprinted in advance of any placed fieldwork experience.
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.