Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves an application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by October 15 for the spring term and by March 15 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits but no more than 90 credits
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better (3.0 for the BA/MA program).
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120.
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in biology.
- Transfer students will have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA/MA in Adolescent Biology: complete the full Major I, replacing 10 credits of elective courses that they take towards the BA with graduate courses. Complete an extra 19 credits of graduate biology courses for a total of 29 graduate biology credits.
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
- 6 credits of English courses
- 6 credits of social studies (at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography)
- 3 credits in the arts
- 6 credits of language other than English (English (or exemption on basis of equivalency)
- a college course in calculus
Other State Certification Requirements
- Get fingerprinted in advance of any placed fieldwork experience.
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.