Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves an application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by October 15 for the spring term and by March 15 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits but no more than 90 credits.
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120.
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in chemistry.
- Transfer students usually have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA/MA in Adolescent Chemistry: minimum of 138 credits to include the chemistry major (minimum of 26 credits) and associated auxiliary courses (41.5 credits) at the undergraduate level; 14 graduate credits in chemistry.
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
Additional courses required for BA/MA students include:
- 6 credits of English courses
- 6 credits of social studies (at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography)
- 3 credits in the arts
- 6 credits of language other than English (English (or exemption on basis of equivalency)
- 6 credits in math or technology (or a college course in calculus)
Other State Certification Requirements
- Get fingerprinted in advance of any placed fieldwork experience.
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.