Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves a paper application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by November 1 for the spring term and by April 1 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA in Adolescent Physics: 30-credit major in physics.
BA/MA in Adolescent Physics: minimum of 130.5 credits to include physics major (minimum of 37 credits) and 16 graduate credits in physics.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits but no more than 90 credits.
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120.
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in physics.
- Transfer students usually have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
The courses listed below are required for BA Adolescent Physics students. Some of these courses may be used towards the GER:
- ENGL 120 and 220;
- Two courses selected from: HIST 151/HIST 152/GEOG 101;
- STAT 213;
- 6 credits in the arts;
- One course that focuses on communication (see Program Advisor for acceptable courses); and
- 12 credits of study in a language other than English (or exemption on basis of equivalency).
Additional courses required for BA/MA students include:
- 6 credits of English courses;
- 6 credits of social studies (at least one course in US history or US geography);
- 3 credits in the arts;
- 6 credits of language other than English (or exemption on basis of equivalency);
- 6 credits of math or technology (a college course in calculus meets this requirement).
Other State Certification Requirements
- Students must pass the Liberal Arts and Sciences Test (LAST) of the New York State Teacher Certification Exam prior to student teaching.
- Students should plan to take the ATS-W Secondary and CST Physics prior to graduation.
- Fingerprints must be cleared prior to student teaching.