Admission to the School of Education is not automatic with admission to Hunter College. There is a separate admission process that involves an online application, a writing sample and an interview.
Students must apply by October 15 for the spring term and March 15 for the fall term. Applications are available online only.
- Minimum of at least 65 credits with at least 6 credits in dance for BA/MA applicants but no more than 90 credits.
- A Hunter College GPA of 3.0 or better.
- A grade of B or better in ENGL 120 (or a 200-3000 level writing course).
- No more than 6 credits of CR/NC grades.
- Formal declaration of a major in dance.
- Transfer students will have to complete 12 credits of coursework at Hunter College before applying. However, transfer students with 60 or more credits and a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts and Science Major Requirements
BA in Dance Education: 34-credit major in dance.
BA/MA in Dance Education: 34-credit major in dance plus 20 additional graduate credits including the following courses - DAN 740 , DAN 742, DAN 746, DAN 701, DAN 705, DAN 730, DAN 735.
Required Liberal Arts & Sciences General Core
The courses listed below are required for BA in Dance Education students. Some of these courses may be used towards the GER:
- ENGL 120 and 220;
- Two courses selected from: HIST 151/HIST 152/GEOG 101;
- STAT 113;
- 9 credits in Math, Science or Technology with at least one science course with a lab component;
- One course that focuses on communication (see Program Advisor for acceptable courses); and
- 12 credits of study in a language other than English (or exemption on basis of equivalency).
Additional courses required for BA/MA students include:
- 6 credits of English courses
- 6 credits of social studies (at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography)
- 6 credits of language other than English (or exemption on basis of equivalency)
- 9 credits in math, science or technology with at least one science course with a lab component (DAN 350 does not count towards this requirement)
State Certification and Other Requirements
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.
- Get fingerprinted in advance of any placed fieldwork experience.
- Plan to take the EAS exam and CST exam prior to graduation.
- Consult their program advisor on a regular basis.