Certification for Special Education Teaching Fellows
Teaching Fellows receive Transitional B certification to begin teaching in the Fall. In order to receive this certification, please follow the timeline and program-specific instructions below.
- Register with TEACH, NYS’s online certification system.
(Click Self-Registration link)
- If you have not yet passed your exam requirements for the program,
register for the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations
(NYSTCE): LAST and CST Multi-Subject.
- Late registration for July 12 date is June 20.
- Get your fingerprints cleared by NYCDOE. Submit the OSPRA 104 form to forward your clearance to NYSED.
- Receipt of Scores for LAST and CST. Submit LAST scores to Hunter for transcript notation.
End of August
- You will receive an email on how to apply for your Trans B certificate.
To Be Completed Before Last Semester of Coursework
Take the following tests:
- Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W)
- CST – Students with Disabilities
Apply online for Initial certification or Professional certification
(if you have at least 3 years of full-time paid teaching experience) in
your subject area.
- NYSTCE: New York State Teacher Certification Examination
- NYCDOE: New York City Department of Education (formerly known as the New York City Board of Education)
- NYSED: New York State Education Department
For your Transitional B certification to begin teaching, you will apply for certification in either Childhood Special Education or Middle Childhood Special Education – not both.
Once Special Education Teaching Fellows complete their program, they should apply for initial/professional certification. Trans B certificates are not valid after graduating from the Teaching Fellows program. Instructions on how to apply for initial and professional certification in the Teacher Certification page under Current Students.