Certification for TESOL Teaching Fellows
Teaching Fellows receive Transitional B certification to begin teaching in the Fall. In order to receive this certification, please follow the timeline and program-specific instructions below.
- Register with TEACH, NYS’s online certification system. (Click Self-Registration link)
- If you have not yet passed your exam requirements for the program, register for the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE): LAST and CST Multi-Subject or ESOL.
- Late registration for July 12 date is June 20.
- Get your fingerprints cleared by NYCDOE. Submit the OSPRA 104 form to forward your clearance to NYSED.
Receipt of Scores for LAST and CST. Submit LAST scores to Hunter for transcript notation.
End of August
You will receive an email on how to apply for your Trans B certificate.
To be completed before last semester of coursework
Take the following Secondary Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W) and the CST – ESOL.
To Be Completed Before Last Semester of Coursework
Take the following tests
- Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills-Written (ATS-W) and;
- Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA).
Apply online for Initial certification or Professional certification (if you have at least 3 years of full-time paid teaching experience) in your subject area.
- NYSTCE: New York State Teacher Certification Examination
- NYCDOE: New York City Department of Education (formerly known as the New York City Board of Education)
- NYSED: New York State Education Department
Certification Instructions: TESOL
Please log-on toin order to complete the following certification instructions for your program
SELF-REGISTRATION (in the purple box on the right hand side of screen):
First, create an account and register online with a username and password.
The self-registration process will ask for your a) First and Last Name; b) Date of Birth; and c) Email Address
Generate a Preferred User ID, Password Reset Information and a Password (at least 8 characters, one of which must be a number).
Complete all the required fields in the registration form in order to continue.
When you first login, you will be asked to enter your password and then to create a new password. Then, enter your social security number so the system can match up all of your records.
Enter the TEACH online service.
- Verify/Update Profile
- Submit Application for Fingerprint Clearance
- Account Information
- Apply for a Certificate/Duplicate Certificate
- Verify/Update Profile
will ask for your Education and Employment information. Enter all the
information from a baccalaureate to present. Hunter College is an Approved New York Teacher Certification Programs.
- Award Title: “Master of Arts MA”
- Program Code: “31813 – ALT CERT: TESOL K-12 (TRANS B)”
- Major: “Education”
Leave the “Date Degree Received” and “Number of Credits” blank.
Fingerprints must be cleared by both the city and the state before you can be certified. If you were fingerprinted by the City, or will be fingerprinted by the City for employment or a substitute license, you must submit the OSPRA 104 form to have your clearance forwarded to the state; the City does not automatically forward your clearance to the State. If you have not been fingerprinted for clearance, do not make an application and pay online. It is highly recommended that you get your fingerprints cleared through the New York City Dept of Education by applying for a substitute license and then forward the clearance to the state.
APPLYING FOR A CERTIFICATE:
*YOU MUST HAVE ACCESS TO A PRINTER AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.*
STEP 1: Verify/Update Profile
Update your education and employment history. If you have not updated your Program code, you can do it in this step. Enter all full-time, paid teaching experience. Student teaching does not count.
STEP 2: Select Certificate(s)
- Select your Certificate Titles (you will be applying for two separate certificates)
- Select your Area of Interest Classroom Teacher
- Select your Subject Area English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Select the Grade Level Pre K-12, All Grades
- Select the Title English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Select your Certificate Type Transitional B Certificate
You must [Add] each certificate you select.
Select “Pathway: Approved Teacher Preparation Program”
STEP 3: Sign Affidavit
Answer all *questions and click on [Sign Affidavit]. By signing this affidavit, you are confirming that the information you have provided is true and contains no misrepresentations.
STEP 4: Confirm and Sign Application
Make sure that you have completed the correct application and click on [Sign Application].
STEP 5: Make Payment
It is highly advised to pay by credit card. Credit card transactions are easier to track.
STEP 6: Application Transaction Summary
You may want to print out the Application Transaction Summary for your own records.
If have problems using TEACH, report them online directly to the TEACH Tech Support through their Web site at
THIS COMPLETES THE ONLINE APPLICATION PORTION OF YOUR TEACHING CERTIFICATE APPLICATION WITH NYSED.
Email your questions to.