News from Spring 2009
- Angelica Snyder and Kristen Pappas have been selected as co-recipients of the Rosalind Tough Fellowship for 2009-2010.
- Professor Nancy Foner's course "The Peopling of New York" was featured in The New York Times in an article entitled "Family Stories as Secret Text for Immigrants".
- Jessica Braithwaite, a current student in the BA/MS program, has been accepted into the CUNY Pipeline Program for students who are interested in exploring research careers and getting a PhD.
- Professor Margaret M. Chin was quoted in the Wall Street Journal article entitled "Remittances to Mexico Fall More Than Forecast" by Joel Millman on the 28th of January 2009 (Section: Section A; Column 5; Pg. 3).
- A recent alum, Tyrone Parchment, who was Sociology Club president and a department award winner who went on to get an MSW from Hunter School of Social Work, will be employed as a program coordinator at John Jay College. He will be working in the Student Development Department in the Black Male Initiative (BMI) Program. BMI is a CUNY-wide initiative intended to increase, encourage, and support the inclusion and educational success of under-represented groups in higher education, in particular black males.