News and Events
Silberman School of Social Work congratulates this years honorees at NASW's Annual Meeting
- Professor Paul Kurzman received the Lifetime Achievement Award. Alumna and adjunct faculty Chana Widawski received the Social Work Image Award. First year MSW student Tiffany Paul received the David Roth Scholarship and Rebekah Glushefski received the NASW-NYC Student Award. Click here to read more.
First group of students to graduate in Policy Track
Paul Kurzman inducted into the Columbia University School of Social Work Alumni Association Hall of Fame
- Congratulations to Professor Paul Kurzman for being inducted in the 2013 Columbia University School of Social Work Alumni Assocaition's Hall of Fame. The CSSW Alumni Association Hall of Fame honors alumni who have made significant achievements to the field of social work.
Professor Michael Lewis published
- The new issue of Basic Income Studies, features his article titled, "Cost, Compensation, Freedom and Basic Income - Guaranteed Jobs Debate." Click here to read more.
Silberman School of Social Work congratulates Anna Fagen
- First year OML student Anna Fagen received a $10,000 grant to initiate a new program at the LaGuardia Community College to support students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).
New book by Michael Fabricant and Michelle Fine
- The Changing Politics of Education: Privatization and the Dispossessed Lives Left Behind, by Michael Fabricant and Michelle Fine persuasively argues that the present cascade of reforms to public education is a consequence of a larger intention to shrink government. The startling result is that more of public education’s assets and resources are moving to the private sector and to the prison industrial complex. To read a complete synopsis about the book and how to order it click here.
Silberman School of Social Work mourns the loss of Mildred Mailick
- Professor Mailick was a major figure in our social work health concentration. Her memory and contributions will live on through her many scholarly publications that can be found electronically today. Click here to view the obituary.
Silberman School of Social Work is now on Linkedin!
- Our official Linkedin group is only open to current students, alumni, faculty, and staff. We moved all of the job postings from our website to our new Linkedin group. Join our group.
Silberman Spring CE Programs
- Registration is now open for Silberman’s spring CE classes and workshops. Choose from a host of new offerings from Managing with Technology to Reflective SUPER-vision and Group Work. Additional sections of favorites include our 2 day TF-CBT workshop and Conversational Spanish for Social Work. Learn more. Click here to learn more.
Gerontology and Social Work Exchange Program
- Silberman hosted a two week exchange for a group of faculty and students from INACAP University in Chile. Dr. Caroline Gelman and the Training Department organized the exchange taught by Graduate Center Social Welfare PhD candidates Sandra Castro and Jeannette Sucre. Click here to read more
SSSW #16 in the US News and World Report's Recent Rankings of Social Work Graduate Schools
- HSSSW shares the spot with schools NYU, UCLA and others. The SSSW moved up from #26. Read more.
For more information on Silberman SSW news and events, click here.
Silberman School of Social Work at Hunter College.
Real People. Real Solutions.