Academic Advising

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: How do I meet with an academic advisor?
    A:Academic advisors are “on duty” on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays on the fourth floor of the building.  Hours are typically: 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. 
    A: You can also email an academic advisor:

  • Q: What is the role of an academic advisor?
    A: Academic advising is available to all students in the school.  Academic advisors are available, on-site, three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday) for consultation about matters including: a review of program requirements, course selection, referral to the Reading/Writing Program, field of practice specialization information, and graduate degree audit information.  In addition, academic advisors are available to direct students to policies and procedures at the school including change of practice method, grade appeal, Student Advisement Committee, the Educational Review Committee.

    Academic advisors will have contact with instructional faculty around issues that arise in the classroom, such as attendance or performance in classroom, including writing.  Academic advisors may also have contact with field advisors to coordinate assistance to a student who is experiencing difficulties in the field and/or the classroom.
  • Q: How do I know that I am “on track” and taking the right courses?
    A: Check the grid of courses:  The grids are found in Appendix A of the Student Handbook.
    A: Check the degree audit form on the website:              
    A: Meet with an academic advisor.   Bring a copy of your unofficial transcript from ESIMS to the meeting.

  • Q: I need help with registration issues. Who do I contact?
    A:  Contact Marit Sadaka:

  • Q: I am experiencing some difficulty in writing my papers. Where can I go for help?
    A: Check out the Reading/Writing Program in the Library at Silberman:  There are drop-in hours, you can make an appointment, or you can use e-tutoring.  Hours are also available at Hunter College, 68th Street, Thomas Hunter Hall, 4th floor.
    A: For on-line submissions of papers for tutoring:
    A: For handouts such as APA Style Guide:

  • Q:  How do I change my practice method?
    A: You will need to meet with your field advisor, complete a Change of Status Form.
    Then meet the assistant dean for student affairs.  You will then need to meet with the faculty member who is the chairperson of the practice method you wish to leave and the one you want to change to before your request will be submitted to the Dean of Academic Affairs.  Changes in method may necessitate a change in field placement; you may need to wait for a new placement or extend your time in placement.

  • Q:  How can I add a practice method and either major in two methods or minor in a second method?
    A:  You will need to speak with your faculty advisor, complete a Change of Status form and then meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.  You will then need to meet with the faculty member who is the chairperson of the method you wish to add (either as a major or a minor).

  • Q:  What are the workshops required for graduation:
    A: There are four: Diversity, Power and Privilege (offered at orientation); Ethics in Social Work Practice (in practice lab); Economic Literacy in Human Services (offered on-line); and Mandated Reporter Training: Identifying and Reporting Child Abuse, Neglect, and Maltreatment.

  • Q: How can I find out if I am missing any of the workshops?
    A: Contact Lina Briscese in student services:

  • Q: If I missed taking a workshop, how can I make it up?
    A:  Check your Hunter email for announcements of make-up sessions; typically offered in January and August.

  • Q. I believe I was graded unfairly in a course. What can I do?
    A: Follow the procedure for appealing a grade – see the Student Handbook:

  • Q: What do I do if I am referred to the Educational Review Committee?
    A:  Speak with your advisor to understand the reason for the referral; confer with the Student Advisement Committee (contact Professor Anthony de Jesus); seek a student or faculty member to be your advocate.

  • Q:  How do I register a change of name, address or other contact information?
    A: Go to:

  • Q. How do I get assistance with my Hunter email?
    A: Go to:

  • Q: How do I request a leave of absence, withdraw from the program, reduce my schedule, or change my practice method?
    A:  Go to:  Consult with an academic advisor once you have completed the form.

  • Q:  What is a Field of Practice Specialization?
    A:    Go to: Read about the field of practice specializations.

  • Q:  What are Field of Practice Specialization requirements?
    A:  Go to: Speak to an academic advisor for more information.

  • Q:  How do I file for field of practice specialization? 
    A: Forms are available on the website:

  • Q: I need information about health insurance and immunizations. Where should I look?
    A:  Go to:

  • Q: I have a question about Financial Aid
    A: Go to: