- Ph.D., Psychology (Clinical-Community). University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
Areas of Expertise
- Youth Civic and Socio-Political Development
- Men and Masculinity
- African-Centered Youth Programs
- Participatory Action Research
- Liberation Psychology
- Watts, R., Diemer, M., Voigt, A. (2011). Critical Consciousness and Sociopolitical Development: Current Status & Future Directions. In C. Flanagan & B. Christens (Eds.) Youth Civic Development: Work at the Cutting Edge. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, 134, 43-58. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Watts, R. (2010). Advancing a community psychology of men. American Journal of Community Psychology, 45, 201-211.
- Watts, R. (2010). Final Report to the Spencer Foundation: Learning Principles for Political and Civic Education from Young Activists. The Spencer Foundation, Chicago, Ill.
- Watts, R., Flanagan, C. (2007). Pushing the envelope on youth civic engagement: A developmental and liberation psychology perspective. Journal of Community Psychology, 35, 1–14.
- Watts, R., & Guessous, O. (2006). Sociopolitical development: The missing link in research and policy on adolescents. In S. Ginwright, P. Noguera, & J. Cammarota (Eds.) Beyond Resistance! Youth Activism and Community Change: New Democratic Possibilities for Practice and Policy for America's Youth. NY: Routledge. Pgs 59-80.
- Youth Organizing: An International Resource for Youth Development and Civic Engagement (2011-14)
This international study of youth sociopolitical development and action is aimed at understanding how organizational settings and youth-adult relationships contribute to enduring commitments to civic and political action among marginalized youth in the USA, Ireland, and South Africa.
Sponsors: Atlantic Philanthropies, The Cricket Foundation, and the Hazen Foundation.
- The Sankofa Project on Rites of Passage
This evaluation research study that also includes consultation services aims to (1) track the development of the Institute's capacity to serve as a national clearinghouse for culture-centered rites of passage interventions for youth, and (2) define and develop evidence-based rites of passage interventions
Spnosor: National Rites of Passage Institute