Admissions Q & A

Q: What are the admissions requirements?

Silberman School of Social Work seeks applicants who have a minimum 3.0 grade point average and volunteer/internship/work history in a social service/helping profession setting. Two letters of reference and a Statement of Purpose, official transcripts, and a $125 application fee are also required.

Q: Is the GRE required?

No GRE is required.

Q: What programs are offered for the MSW?

  • Full-Time Program (two years of full-time study)
  • Advanced Standing Program (for those who hold an accredited BSW degree)
  • OYR (Work-Study) Program (for experienced applicants working in an agency setting)
  • Accelerated Full-Time and Accelerated OYR Programs (spring start only)
  • Dual-Degree Program (fall start only)

Q: How long is the program?

  • Full-Time Program: Two years (four semesters)
  • OYR Program: Two and one half years, plus summers
  • Advanced Standing: One year (two semesters plus a summer)
  • Accelerated Program: Three semesters plus two summers (January start)
  • Accelerated OYR Program: Four semesters plus two summers (January start)

Q: Can an applicant apply to more than one pathway or method?

No. Applicants may only apply to one pathway and method. If the Admissions Committee feels you are more qualified for one pathway or method than another, it will contact you.

Q: Does Silberman SSW offer a part-time program?

Currently, the OYR Program is part-time but only available for experienced students currently working in a recognized social service agency in a social-work-related role.

Q: Is there any way to complete the program on weekends or evenings?

Currently, there are limited courses for the OYR program on Saturday.

Q: What are the special requirements for the OYR Program?

OYR applicants must have two years (cumulative) of paid full-time experience in a recognized social service agency. In addition, their agency must sign an Agency Executive Agreement Form and provide an Agency Executive Reference Letter.

Q: What are the requirements for field placement?

  • For Full-Time and Advanced Standing students: Your field placement is completed three days per week, from 9:00AM to 5:00PM, totaling 21 hours per week. There are no field placement assignments on weekends or evenings.
  • OYR students: Field placement is completed through your agency during your residence year (During the start of your second year).

Q: Can a student choose his or her own field placement?

No. Field placement is chosen by the Field Education Office. Only OYR students use their current job site as a field practice site. Students in their second year have input in selection.

Q: Is my Field Internship paid?

Field Internships are not generally paid positions.

Q: Is the TOEFL exam required?

Applicants whose native language is not English and whose post-secondary education (baccalaureate degree) was in a country where English was not the native language are required to take the TOEFL exam. The minimum acceptable score for TOEFL is 80 on the internet-based TOEFL (IBT), 213 on the computer-based test (CBT), or 550 on the paper-based test. Direct the Educational Testing Service to send your TOEFL score to Hunter College School of Social Work, institution code: 2308.

Q: When do classes begin?

Spring semester begins in late January.
Summer semester I begins in early June and summer semester II in early July.
Fall semester begins in late August (before Labor Day).

Q: Can I write more than 500 words on the Statement of Purpose?

Yes. Your Statement of Purpose should answer all the questions on the application. The Statement of Purpose should highlight your writing ability, articulating your experience in the field of social work and your ability to do graduate work.

Q: Can I work a full-time job and start the full-time two year program?

No. The full-time two year program (TYP) requires you to do your field placement three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) from 9-5, and take classes two days a week (Tuesday and Thursday).