Financial Aid and Scholarship
Financial Aid Information
Information about financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study) available at Hunter is provided in order to assist you in meeting the costs of enrollment at Silberman. There are two primary resources for financial assistance information for students at Silberman:
1. Hunter College Financial Aid Office
695 Park Avenue, NY, NY 10065
2. Scholarship and Financial Aid Office of Silberman SSW
2180 Third Avenue, NY, NY 10035
For more information on scholarships, please contact 212-396-7626
Silberman SSW Scholarship
Federal Loan Programs
The Hunter College Financial Aid Office is also responsible for administering federal loan programs. To learn about these programs, go to: www.hunter.cuny.edu/finaid. The Financial Aid Office website provides details about:
- Federal Direct Loans (William D. Ford Direct Loan Program)
- Federal Perkins Loans
- New York State Tuition Assistance (grants)
- Federal Work-Study
Financial Aid for Graduate Students
Specific information about financial aid for graduate students is available at www.hunter.cuny.edu/finaid/gradstudents.
New York State Financial Aid
Students who want to apply for federal and New York State financial aid can complete applications in one online session at www.fafsa.ed.gov. In addition, students who want to request a Federal Direct Loan must request the loan online at www.hunter.cuny.edu/finaid/dirloan.html.
School of Social Work Scholarships and Financial Aid
The Scholarship and Financial Aid Office of Silberman SSW will provide you with information on financing your SSW education. We have several different scholarships that we administer specifically for social work students. To apply to these scholarships requires the following steps:
- Complete the Silberman Scholarship/Tuition Waiver Budget Form (Word document link “Silberman Budget Form”) and scan/save as a word or pdf document. You will be required to upload this document during completion of the online Silberman Scholarship/Tuition Waiver Submission Form. (Required)
- Update your resume and upload during completion of the online Silberman Scholarship/Tuition Waiver Submission Form. (Required)
- If applying for the Latino Social Work Task Force or Amy Watkins Scholarship, you must first complete the appropriate application form and save this document to upload during completion of the online Silberman Scholarship/Tuition Waiver Submission Form. (As specified by particular scholarship.)
- Complete online Scholarship/Tuition Waiver Submission Form and upload required documents as defined by scholarships for which you are applying. (Required)
- Dorothy and Alfred Silberman Tuition Waivers. Awarded according to a formula for determining level of financial need based on FAFSA.
- Grants for substitute child care. A limited number of grants may be available to students who demonstrate financial need and who require child care or payment for after-school programs. Grants are most often awarded to single parents.
- Latino Social Work Task Force. NASW. For Latino students who are NYC residents and planning to work with Latino populatuions after graduation. GPA of 3.5.
- Amy Watkins Scholarship. For incoming students whose major method is community organization. Committee of alums selects recipients.