Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Student Affairs: Services » AccessABILITY » FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Document Actions


Who is considered a “person with a disability?

“Person with a disability” means any person who 1) has a physical or psychological condition which substantially limits one or more major life activities (including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working), 2) has a record of such impairment, or 3) is regarded as having such an impairment. Disabilities include (and may not be limited to):

  • Medical Conditions: Asthma, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, HIV-AIDS, Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Traumatic Brain Injury, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Lupus, Heart disease, Chrons Disease, Sickle Cell Anemia, Epilepsy, etc.
  • Psychological Conditions: Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Mania, Manic-depression, Schizophrenia, Recovery from Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, Obsessive-compulsive Disorder.
  • Learning Disabilities: Reading, Writing and Math Disabilities
  • Neurological Impairment: Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Brain Injury, Brain Tumor, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Visually Impaired, Legally Blind, and Blind
  • Mobility Impairment: Arthritis, Polio, Spinal Cord Injuries, Scoliosis and other conditions, which cause you to have mobility difficulties or result in your using a cane or wheelchair.
  • Temporary Conditions: Broken Leg, Sprained Ankle, Wrist Injury or Sprained Back, etc.

I have a disability. Where should I go to receive service?

Support is available for students who are registered with the Office of AccessABILITY (for Students with Disabilities.) The Office of AccessABILITY is located in East 1214B and the phone number is (212) 772-4857.

How do I register as a student with disabilities?

To register with the Office of AccessABILITY, bring medical or psychological documentation that is dated within the last five years to 1214B East and ask to see our intake counselor. The counselor may request additional documentation if the documentation provided is determined to be inadequate and will offer guidance about securing needed documentation.

Will my information be kept confidential?

Information and documentation of your disability is held in confidence by OA. Your disability is not indicated on the college transcript.

What if I think I have a disability but I don’t have any documentation, or my documentation is old?

You may come to the Office of AccessABILITY, East 1214B, and ask to speak to a disability specialist to discuss your situation. If needed, the counselor will offer guidance about securing needed documentation.

As a student with a disability, is there anywhere on campus I can network, study or use specialized technology?

Yes! The Access & Technology Center, located in Thomas Hunter 205, is a place to study, attend specialized workshops and classes and to socialize and relax. In an adjacent room, the Center provides technology especially designed for students with disabilities. Training seminars and tutorials are available by appointment and free of charge.

May a student with a learning disability be exempt from a foreign language?

It is possible for students with a learning disability to petition for a waiver. The decision for a waiver is made on a case-by-case basis and substitute courses are required. Speak with a counselor in OA for additional information.

May a student with a disability register for a reduced course load and still qualify for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)?

A typical course load at Hunter is 12 credits per semester (usually four courses). However, students registered with the Office of AccessABILITY may take as few as 6 credits per semester and still qualify for partial TAP award.

For more information on how to deal with certain areas of difficulty, please click here:

If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of AccessABILITY.


contact us

t: 212.772.4857  |  f: 212.650.3449  |  vp: 646.755.3129
Room 1214B, East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065