Document Actions


Dear Parents/Guardians:

The Office of AccessABILITY (OA) at Hunter College is pleased to have the privilege of working with your child for the coming academic year. We understand how the transition from high school or a community college to a four year campus is complicated not only for the students, but also for their parents, and therefore, we have assembled a list of frequently asked questions that we think will help you during this transition. In addition to below information, we recommend that you view the following link regarding the transition from High School to College to get further familiar with the rules and regulations that governs both entities:

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does CUNY accept an IEP diploma?
    No, CUNY only accepts a GED & or a High School Diploma for admission purposes.
  2. Are students eligible for special admission to Hunter College because of their documented disability?
    No. The application for admission does not include any information regarding a student's disability or medical condition. Therefore, the admission to Hunter College (or any other CUNY campus) is granted based on student's high school average, course taken, SAT/ACT scores, college application, essay writing, and admission tests. For more information you may visit the admission's office website at
  3. Is there special Financial Aid available to students with disabilities through the Office of AccessABILITY (OA)?
    The OA does not offer financial assistance to its registered students. The Financial Aid Office however, offers assistance with TAP, PELL, Loans, etc, and is available to all students that may qualify for financial assistance. Students with a documented disability who are registered with OA may also qualify for Tuition Assistant Award for Part Time students (TAP). National organizations also offer scholarships due to students' adequate academic standings and the OA among other related offices in the college notifies students of these opportunities.
  4. Do you have a tutoring program for students with disabilities?
    The OA always refers students in need of tutoring to the Reading and Writing Center, Chanin Language Center, Math Dolcini Center, or SEEK office. Limited tutoring hours are offered based on budget availability and on limited number of subjects, through the Office of AccessABILITY as well.
  5. Do you provide training in Assistive technology?
    Yes. The specialist at the Access and Technology Center provides group and one-on-one training by appointment to OA registered students. The Access and Technology Center offers a wide array of specialized software for our students. Including, Jaws, Inspiration, Zoom-Text amongst others. For more information please see our link:
  6. Is public transportation part of the accommodations?
    No. The OA does not offer public transportation. However, at times funds may be available to assist students with cost of transportation based on disability. For additional information please see our website:
  7. Does Hunter College provide my son/daughter with Financial Assistance for purchasing software/hardware equipment that is needed for his/her study?
    No. However, students are strongly encouraged to register/meet with a VESID (Vocational Educational Services for Individual with Disabilities) and/or CBVH (Commissions for the Blind and Visually Handicapped) counselor to see if they may qualify for financial Assistance to purchase any necessary equipment.
  8. Can parents request accommodations on behalf of their child?
    No. All requests for accommodations must come directly from the student and supported by medical documentation. Parents may be present upon student's consent during the intake appointment.
  9. Is housing provided to students with disabilities at Hunter College?
    Hunter's Residence Hall located on East 25th street and 1st Avenue. There are limited number of rooms that are accessible for students with documented disabilities. All student applicants must follow Residence Hall procedures to request housing. Based on the students' documentation and approval of their application, OA may advocate on students' behalf to secure a room. For more information regarding how to apply for a room, please visit the link below:
  10. Does OA conduct psycho-educational assessment?
    No. Neither the Americans with Disabilities Act nor Section 504 make it incumbent upon institutions of higher learning to evaluate or assess students with disabilities for suspected disabilities. The OA can direct the student to appropriate qualified professionals and agencies of choice within the five boroughs. The following is a link to some of these agencies:
  11. In high school teachers kept me informed as to how my son or daughter was performing academically. Will I be able to communicate with the College professors or any other offices about my child's academic performance?
    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1976 (FEPRA) outlines once your son or daughter enrolls in a post secondary education institution, and is eighteen (18) years or older, they (the student) become the sole guardian of all records maintained by that institution. The student has the right to access their own records upon a written request. The parent or guardian does not share that right as this information as always is kept confidential. This right can be waived once the student authorizes a written release form allowing their parents access to requested records or information.
  12. Upon written consent, can I therefore visit OA on behalf of my child to discuss concerns or ask questions?
    Yes, but the student must always be present during the meetings.
  13. My son/daughter had some subjects waived in High School—are they automatically waived in college too?
    In higher education there are no "automatic" waivers. At Hunter College, under certain circumstances and upon documented disability students may be granted a language exemption/substitution through the OA.
  14. Can I provide assistance for my son/daughter in classroom or during testing such as with reading or note-taking?
    No. The OA provides all classroom or testing accommodations through trained individuals. Parents are not allowed to attend classes with their children unless permitted by their instructor. Even then, their presence must be neutral and pose no distraction.
  15. Does my child's disabling condition warrant any immunity against any disciplinary charges that may be posed against him/her as a result of a complaint?
    No. Students conduct will always be reviewed by college officials should their behavior pose any danger or concern to self or others, despite their documented disability.
  16. How does the college make sure that the classrooms are physically accessible?
    The OA always advocates on behalf of all its registered students and collaborates with other entities on campus to ensure classroom accessibility upon request.
  17. Can my child register early for classes offered at Hunter College?
    Yes. Students registered with OA receive priority registration dates based on number of completed credits.

For further questions and concerns please call our main number at (212) 772-7854 to schedule a meeting with one of our staff members.


contact us

t: 212.772.4857  |  f: 212.650.3449  |  vp: 646.755.3129
Room 1214B, East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065