Document Actions


Students with disabilities must be able to function in as independent a manner as possible and to seek appropriate assistance in a reasonable and timely manner. College resources and staff cannot be expected to meet all of a student's needs associated with managing a disability. It is expected that students will follow appropriate health regimens, secure appropriate medical and therapeutic assistance from qualified practitioners at Hunter or in the New York City area, and arrange necessary support services (i.e., transportation, individual monitoring of needs, financial assistance, personal care) that Hunter College does not provide.

Auxilliary services provided by the Office of AccessABILITY include:

  • Transitional Services
  • Counseling (personal, academic & career track)
  • LEADS Counseling
  • Academic Advisement and Program Planning
  • Priority Registration
  • Testing Accommodations
  • Assistive Technologies
  • Sign Language Interpreters and CART Services
  • Readers
  • Note-takers (in-class & for testing)
  • Tutoring Referral
  • Special Workshops and Seminars
  • Lockers for Students with Mobility Problems
  • The Access and Technology Center, located in Room 205 Thomas Hunter Hall, serves as a place for students to network, socialize, attend specialized workshops, club meetings and take exams.  The Access & Technology Center offers adaptive technology and individualized computer training for students with disabilities.  The adaptive technology is especially helpful to students who have learning disabilities, visual and hearing impairments.

  • The Office of AccessABILITY serves as a Voter Registration Site. We provide forms in the main office (E1214B) and the Access and Technology Center (TH205).  Counselors in Office of AccessABILITY will provide voter registration forms to studentsat the time of their registration with the office.The office and its center will provide assistance with completion of forms on a walk-in basis and at all times.  Posters announcing this service is also placed at various places around campus. Registration forms, instructions and deadlines can also be obtained on line on the New York City Board of Elections website -
  • New Students with disabilities at the School of Social Work may contact the Assistant Dean for enrollment and registration at 212-396-7625 for assistance in room 707. Continuing Students with disabilities at the School of Social Work may contact Assistant Dean of Student Affairs at 212-396-7575 for assistance in room 304.

  • The Section 504 Coordinator at Hunter College, Professor Tamara Green is responsible for enforcement of the provisions of Section 504. Professor Green may be contacted in 1429 West building, 212-772-5061. There is a 504 Grievance Procedure for students with disabilities at Hunter College. Students may obtain the necessary form, which contains instructions for filing, from Office of Student Services in Room 1119 East.

  • Office of AccessABILITY works closely with Advising, Counseling and Wellness Services offices.



contact us

t: 212.772.4857  |  f: 212.650.3449  |  vp: 646.755.3129
Room 1214B, East Building, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065