Document Actions



Ask Advisor Alex and Other Apt Advice for the Week of January 14-18, 2008

  • Registration will remain open until January 16, and then will not be available again until classes start on January 25.
  • Freshman Block classes will be released on January 16, so check the schedule that morning for available seats in previously unavailable classes.
  • If you register for classes, you must pick up your bill at the OASIS (217N) and pay by January 17 or your classes will be cancelled.

Ask Advisor Alex

Dear Advisor Alex:
A friend who is a CUNY student told me that if a student registers for more than a certain number of classes in a semester, he/she doesn't have to pay for the additional classes. It that true?

Full-Time Franny

Dear Full-Time:                                                              
Your friend is kind of right. First, let me start by clarifying that if you are not a NY State resident, you pay by the credit no matter what, so you don’t get a break if you take more classes. But, if you are a NY State resident, tuition is a flat rate for 12-17.5 credits, so you save money by taking more credits because once you are taking 12 credits, you can take up to 5.5 more for the same price. Just one more good reason to take at least 15 credits per semester- graduating on time with your class, getting on to a career or graduate school sooner, and saving money on tuition!

Advisor Alex


Dear Advisor Alex:
I am hoping to graduate this spring, but I need 19 more credits and I know the limit is 17.5 per semester. Can I get permission to take more than that so I don’t have to take a summer class?

Almost Done Diane

Dear Almost Done:
The short answer is Yes. This is called a Credit Overload, and you can request one, but you have to meet some criteria:

  • Have a 3.0 GPA
  • Have completed a Hunter semester previously with at least 15 credits, a 3.0 semester GPA and no Fs, Ws, WUs, CRs or NCs
  • Have no pending IN or Z grades.

If you meet all those requirements, you can get the form from the Advising Services website and submit it to Student Services (1119E) for permission to take additional classes.

Advisor Alex


For more advisement information or questions:

Visit the Advising Web Site

Contact the Office of Student Services
(212) 772-4882
1119 East Building

Contact a peer advisor in the Sylvia E. Fishman Student Center
(212) 650-3282
417 West Building


contact us

To contact the Office of Advising Services, please call 212.772.4882, visit Room 1119, East Building, or email: