Document Actions



Ask Advisor Alex and Other Apt Advice for the Week of March 3, 2008

  • Daylight savings time begins on Sunday, March 9, so set your clocks ahead one hour on Saturday night. And before you get too upset about losing a valuable hour of your weekend, just remember that more daylight in the evening means more time to be outside (to study, of course).
  • Registration for summer sessions starts this week! Sign up for summer classes to meet General Education Requirements, work on your major or minor, or just accumulate some electives toward graduation.

Ask Advisor Alex

Dear Advisor Alex:
I am a transfer student from LaGuardia Community College, where I completed my Associates of Arts degree before I started at Hunter last fall. I met with an advisor at transfer orientation in the fall, and I was told that my LaGuardia degree meant that I am exempt from the core portion of the GER. However, when I met with another advisor just last week, I was told that I am responsible for all of the GER because my Hunter transcript does not indicate that I have the degree. Who is right?

Confused Connie

Dear Confused:
Unfortunately, they are both right, and this is a common problem for transfer students. It is true that if you completed an Associates of Arts (AA) or Associates of Science (AS) from a CUNY college before you started at Hunter, you are exempt from the core of Hunter’s GER (Stages 1, 2 and 3). This is a great advantage because you don’t need to worry about taking GER core classes to fulfill Hunter’s requirements, and instead you can focus on your major and minor. However, what the second advisor told you may also be true because Hunter needs to have your degree on record.

Often, when transfer applicants submit their transcripts to Hunter, they are still finishing classes at their previous college, and their degree is not yet complete. This means that Hunter does not have a record of your degree until you have a final transcript sent from your previous institution, with all of your grades and the degree completed. Then Hunter can note your degree and you will be exempt from the GER core. If you did request that a final transcript be sent to Hunter, and it still does not appear on your Hunter transcript, you may need to follow up with the Admissions Office or your previous college to be sure it was sent and received. Talk to an advisor if you have more questions about what your Hunter requirements are. Hopefully this clears things up and you can move towards your next degree!

Advisor Alex


Dear Advisor Alex:
I hate math and it hates me. I am an art major so I don’t need math for that. Do I really have to take a math class? Can I just take MATH101?

Phobic Phoebe

Dear Phobic:
The short answer is yes, you need a math class to graduate from Hunter, and because your major doesn’t require a specific math course, you can take any one that will meet the math portion of the Hunter GER. BUT be very careful here because MATH101 does not fulfill the GER math requirement. Let me say that again. MATH 101 does not fulfill the Hunter GER math requirement!! MATH101 is meant to be a pre-requisite course for higher level math classes that do fulfill the math requirement, such as STAT113 or MATH125, so taking MATH101 and stopping will not be enough. If you only want to take one math class and be done with it, MATH100 “Basic Structures of Mathematics”, may be the class for you. As a self-described “math hater”, I doubt you prefer to take a higher level math, like statistics or pre-calculus, but if you do, you need to take the math placement test (if you haven’t already), and you might need to take MATH101 first. Talk to an advisor to see what route is best for you.

Once you decide what class to take, getting over your math phobia will be a big step. Work with the Math Learning Center in 302N  the Center for Student Achievement in C001N  or Personal Counseling Services in 1214E, or all three to help get you past it. There are a ton of resources to help you and there is no reason that an unreasonable fear of a subject should stop you from doing anything! Besides, you may be surprised at how much art and math have in common. Just ask Leonardo Davinci!

Advisor Alex


For more advisement information or questions:

Visit the Advising Web Site

Contact the Office of Student Services
(212) 772-4882
1119 East Building

Contact a peer advisor in the Sylvia E. Fishman Student Center
(212) 650-3282
417 West Building


contact us

To contact the Office of Advising Services, please call 212.772.4882, visit Room 1119, East Building, or email: