Document Actions


Financial assistance in graduate school varies with the university, academic department, degree program, year of study, and citizenship status. Students who have been accepted into more than one graduate school have the luxury of comparing which package is most generous, frequently an important criterion in the decision-making process. Financial assistance is available in the form of fellowships (outright grants with no strings attached), employment (teaching assistantships, research assistantships, work/study), and loans. Because university financial aid cannot be offered to all students and does not always provide full financial support, many students must rely on personal resources, external awards, loans and employment.

Investigate the graduate school program for any kinds of financial aid for which you may be eligible. (There is considerably more funding available for Ph.D. programs than masters). Most likely you will need to complete the FAFSA and any additional financial aid information forms that the graduate program may require. When you are applying for financial aid, you will often find that the deadline for all information is considerably earlier than for those students who are not applying for financial assistance. For example, you may find that there is a January 2nd priority deadline for September admission. Ask about any scholarships, fellowships, or other forms of financial aid such as teaching or research assistantships and non-interest bearing loans that may be available through the graduate school, division or department. If nothing is available for your first year, when and what kind of aid may become available in your second year. Conversely, if you are awarded for your first year, what is the likelihood of continued funding?

Outside Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants and Awards

Investigate scholarships through your prospective graduate school and read Hunter College Grants Guide on the Grants Guide website. Read it carefully, and plan to apply for scholarships well in advance of any deadline dates.The comprehensive information and application forms are usually at each organization's web site. However, many prestigious scholarships require that you apply through the College. Come to Room 1119 East or call (212) 772-4882 for an appointment to see Ms. Myrna Fader in the Office of Student Services. You may also wish to research additional sources of aid, which you may do through the Internet.

You may want to look into such important fellowships as:

Hunter College S&W Senior Scholarships for Graduate Study

Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowships

The National Science Foundation Fellowships (in the natural and social sciences)

Fulbright Grants for Graduate Study and Research Abroad

The Rhodes Scholarships