Document Actions
Notice: This item is marked as outdated.

Room 1109 East Building • 212.772.4864 • intlss@hunter.cuny.ed

Optional Practical Training Info Sessions

Get 12 months of employment in your field

As an F-1 student, you are entitled to up to 12 months of employment in your field, in the United States. This post-completion employment authorization is called "Optional Practical Training" (OPT).

If Fall 2017 is your last semester, you should apply for Optional Practical Training within the next few weeks. If you apply later, it may reduce the amount of time that you are allowed to work in the United States. If you apply as soon as permitted, you may be eligible for 12 months of OPT for each higher degree you obtain. That includes separate 12-month periods for Associate, Bachelor's, Master's and other graduate programs.

Dates: Fridays, October 6 and 13
Time: 4:00 - 5:00 pm
Place: Room 1109 East Building

RSVP is required. Please visit and tell us which session you plan to attend.


Combined Workshops:

Building Interview Confidence and Employment Options

This two-part workshop is geared towards F-1 and J-1 students who have questions about how they may work legally in the United States during and after completing their studies. An immigration attorney will discuss your legal employment options.

Topics and Activities

  • On-campus employment and Optional Practical Training
  • Engage in interview role-playing to practice your skills and boost your confidence.
  • Legal options for employment while in school and afterwards.
  • Special focus on obtaining H-1B professional working status after graduation.

Date: Wednesday, October 11
Building Interview Confidence: 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Employment Options: 2:15 - 3:30 pm
Place: Room 605 West Building

RSVP required. Please RSVP here for one or both workshops.

If you have any questions, please contact us at


Join Our Listserv

Are you interested in receiving announcements from the International Students Office? Send an email to to be added to our list of subscribers.


If your program, event or opportunity for Hunter students is sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs, please submit your announcement here.